Tuesday, December 2, 2014

White Nerd Rage in 5...4...3.....

So today Warner Bros. announced their cast for the upcoming Suicide Squad movie.

Just to get you up to speed real quick the Suicide Squad is a DC comic about ragtag band of criminals who are released from prison to do the really dirty work that no one is supposed to know about. However this dirty work is often the kind you aren't expected to come back from, hence the name of the unit.

Now where's the white nerd rage going to come from you might ask. Wait for it....

This is Floyd Lawton aka Deadshot. A member of the suicide squad slated to appear in the movie.


Here's Deadshot in the game Batman: Arkham City.

This is Deadshot from the Arrow tv series.

This is Deadshot from the comic books.
(Yes the one tied to a chair with the skin's of
the Joker's face over his. Long story.)


So who's playing him in the movie?


As you can see Will Smith is a bit....different from the the existing artwork and Michael Rowe's acting on the Arrow series.

Now at face value I can understand why there would be some outrage. I'll even admit that despite planning on cosplaying Deadshot for a convention next year I have a bit of a problem with this. It goes back to just changing established characters from black to white. 

Yes there is certainly an issue with there not being that many black comic characters and that is something that I'd like to see addressed. I just don't think this is the way to do it. I would like to see more black characters popping up in movies (such as Micheal Jai White who plays Bronze Tiger on the Arrow series and was a member of the Suicide Squad at one point). Maybe we could FINALLY get a Static Shock movie.

However with that aside I know I'll get over this like I did when Michael Clark Duncan was Kingpin and how the mantel of Captain America is being passed on to The Falcon.

And there is no point in ranting and raving about it across the net and there is certainly no point in getting racist about it either.

Honestly I'm not sure of how well Smith will fit the role. He's gonna have to play an objective oriented cold blooded killer. Can he do that? I guess we'll find out.
-->