Sunday, March 2, 2014

Would you watch a Twin Peaks revival?

So I'm working my way through old pieces of posts that I never fleshed out and I found this one from last January.

The science fiction blog Airlock Alpha had an article up about a rumor of a Twin Peaks revival.

I was a young man back in 1990 when creator David Lynch introduced the world of Twin Peaks and let me tell you that was some crazy stuff. Way over my head at the time. As time passed I would occasionally catch reruns of the show and would understand a few things I didn't see before but even then that is one odd show.

But could it be revived?

Truthfully I just don't think so.

Back in 1990 when Lynch dropped the mystery of Laura Palmer's murder on us he was breaking a lot of new ground. Odd plot twists. Answers that led to more questions. Music that could get down right creepy and characters that you would not want to meet in real life. In all honesty the bar was a lot lower then that it is now.

With shows like Lost, Supernatural, Revenge, and American Horror Story and video games like Heavy Rain and Alan Wake in our recent memories (and I wager some of these shows pulled influence from Twin Peaks) Lynch would have to take supernatural/suspense/mystery/drama to an entirely new level.

A level that I'm just not sure he could achieve again 25 years later.

And really ask yourself how would you feel if Twin Peaks were revived, just to hear someone call it a rip off of Lost?

What do you think?

Would you watch it?


-->