Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Struggle is no longer quite as real


Yeah.

So after 6 months of unemployment I have a new job.

Let me tell you something. Anyone that tows the line that people who are collecting unemployment are doing so as a way to avoid working is full of shit.

That's not to say that no one does that but after doing it for 6 months all I have to say about it is that it was a fucking nightmare.

First off after I left my last job I had to wait nearly a month after filing my claim before I saw any money (and I was told the wait can range from 4 to 10 weeks).

When I finally started collecting I was approved for little less than half of what I was making on my last job (job:$563/wk; unemployment:$272/wk). That was barely enough to keep my bills paid (rent:$395/mn and power:$120/mn). 

Also I had to periodically fill out progress reviews to let the unemployment office know that I was still job hunting. That in and of itself isn't that big of a deal however there was a problem with the timing. The reviews had to sent back within 7 days of when they were mailed....and I usually got them on day 5 if not 6.

Oh and if you need to call them for support good luck. I can't count how many times I called them for support and would get left on hold for over 20 minutes, get transfered to the wrong department several times, and in some cases I would just get hung upon. And then there was the time where I put my claim on hold (I got a temporary contract job) and when I restarted it there was a 3 week waiting period that someone simply chose not to tell me about.

And finally despite telling them to take taxes out of my unemployment payments (yes, taxes) they did not which is of course going to bite me on the ass when I file taxes in a few weeks.

I didn't have a problem paying into unemployment before and now that I've needed it I certainly don't mind. But at the same time it is such an ordeal that I don't get how anyone could just decide to live off of it like welfare.

Oh and in my state the maximum amount of time you can collect unemployment is 20 weeks.

Screw that I'll take work over that any day.

Thankfully a friend of mine was job hunting and came across an offer that didn't compare to what he was already making so he pointed them in my direction and thankfully everything worked out.

Like seriously my lease ends at the end of March and if I hadn't found something full time permanent by then I was gonna have to return home. And that would not have been good.

So now that I am working again that's a major roadblock out of the way.

Next up......moving......




-->