Thursday, July 18, 2013

What have I got to say about Trayvon Martin's murder?

As you know George Zimmerman was recently acquitted of second degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. This has been swirling around in my head ever since the Trayvon was killed last year.

I was debating over whether I was actually going to post something about it here but after hearing a rather interesting letter that was sent into to the Steve Harvey Morning Show today (and other promptings) I couldn't resist.

You can find an audio recording of Steve reading the letter on his site. I didn't see a transcript of the letter (and I also don't know how long that sound bit will be available) so I whipped one up real quick.
Dear George Zimmerman,
For the rest of your life you are not going to feel what it is like to be a black man in America. You will feel people stare at you. Judging you for what you think are unfair reasons. You will lose out on getting jobs for something you feel is outside of your control. You will believe yourself to be an upstanding citizen and wonder why people choose not to see that.
People will cross the street when they see you coming. They will call you hurtful names. It will drive you so insane some days that you'll want to scream at the top of your lungs. But you will have to wake up the next day, put on a firm look, and push through life.I bet you never thought that by shooting a black man, you'd end up inheriting all his struggles.
Enjoy Your Freedom.
I think there is truth to this. With the case turning out the way it did Zimmerman has put a bit of a bullseye on his back. Sure he can waive around that non-guilty verdict but at the of the day the things that letter writer describes will come to pass. Mind you I think there is one crucial difference between Zimmerman and black men.

While majority of black men have done absolutely nothing to face the reality that letter writer describes Zimmerman quite literally created his own reality. Sure he may think that these events are outside his control but fact of the matter is he chose to shoot Trayvon.

As a black man there is a part of me that wants to vemonously say that he deserves this situation and deserves whatever comes his way as a result. But ultimately that would be wrong. Just because you've been treated a certain terrible way doesn't justify treating others in said terrible fashion (hell for all we know Zimmerman may have some sort of past where he was mistreated by black man and he saw this as a chance to get back at them).

For as much as I don't like what he did Zimmerman is still a fellow man and it would be wrong to wish harm upon him.

I will probably have a few more scattered thoughts on this over the next few weeks but that's all for now.
-->