Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cooking with Danny Stage 9

A while back I did a Strawberry Cheesecake Pie and it was a little runny. I figured the problem was I put in too much milk and it seems I was right. A few weekends ago we attended a house warming picnic and I chose to revise the recipe and test it in public. Here's what I did.

A few things. This version makes 2 pies. I used regular instead of sugar free pudding and thus took out the sugar I added last time. Unlike last time when I used a basic whisk I actually borrowed my girlfriend's hand mixer which made things A LOT easier.

Strawberry Cheesecake Pie (Revised)

1 pound of fresh strawberries, chopped into small pieces (at least quarters)

1-16oz container of fat free Cool Whip

1-11oz container of Whipped Cream Cheese (unlike standard cream cheese this stuff is lighter and more fluffy and easier to mix)

2 pk cheesecake flavored Instant Pudding

2 Graham Cracker crusts

1 cup of whole milk


Tip: Set the containers of Cool Whip and Cream Cheese on your counter with the lids off for about an hour or so. That way it softens up a bit and is easier to mix.

In a large mixing bowl combine the milk and pudding mix. Yes the consistency is going to be about that of gritty paste but you're going to be adding a lot more moisture.

I recommend mixing in the strawberries, Cool Whip, and Cream Cheese one at a time just to make sure they mix in smoothly. Really haven't worked out a recommended order though.

After you have it all combined split the mixture between the two crusts and cover (each graham cracker crust should have a little dome like cover, use that). Sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours (but overnight would be ideal) so that the pudding can set.

I was so pleased to see that one was almost eaten entirely (when we left there were still about 10 or so people at the party and there was only 1 piece left) and took the other back home, which was promptly taken out by my girlfriend. What can I say she likes my pie.

Definitely need to make this a few more times before I can get it proper but I'm working on it.
-->