Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Is it really the thought that counts?

Now that we have seen the Mayans weren't as accurate about the end of the world as we thought (or maybe Dr. Who had already preemptively save the world from that threat, who knows) Christmas is upon us once again and with Christmas comes gifts. And with gifts some shipping.

A few nights ago while thinking about what else to add to the main gift I had purchased for my girlfriend I found out that Bath and Body Works had a "Buy 3, Get 3 Free" sale going on. Topping off a gift with some body lotions and shower gel doesn't sounds like a bad idea right? I was already familiar with what scents she likes but I wasn't sure exactly which products to buy for her. Let me show you what I'm talking about.

For example the scent "Carried Away" is available in shower gel, body spray, body cream, body wash, body lotion, bubble bath, and body butter. So that's seven different products in a single scent. Multiply that by the several dozens of scents they carry and you can see how daunting this can get when you're trying to pick 6 products from hundreds. Even though I know which 3-4 different scents she likes that still means I had to pick 6 out of 28 products.

Well not being sure which ones to pick I asked what must be some sort of universal mistake.
I asked if she would be up for going out shopping and she could pick the exact 6 that she wanted.

Her response was golden.

"You think I'm going to go with you to pick my own gift? Hell no."

So here is what I'm wondering. Was I really that out of line to offer to take her shopping so that she could get exactly what she wanted? (Bear in mind this was only something to go along with her main gift, which is a closely guarded secret.)

And while we are talking about Christmas gifts what's your opinion on gift cards? A way to let someone get what they want or an easy way out of shopping?

Do you have any other shopping or gift giving/receiving pet peeves about the Christmas season to share?
-->