Sunday, March 11, 2012

Weekly Mashup Stage 92

In an effort to build up the Ethecofem community into a place where any walk of life will feel welcome to come and discuss things we are looking for another regular contributor, preferably of the female persuasion to balance things out a bit, but anyone interested is welcome. We like a variety of viewpoints, experiences, and perspectives. And as always April is on the eternal lookout for guest bloggers as well. If you're interested drop a line at ethecofem[at]gmail[dot]com.

Also feel free to treat this as an Open Thread.

Challenging myths: "Male rape victims face many stereotypes and stigmas. People question their level of consent, their responsibility for the attack, their masculinity, and their sexuality. These attitudes in turn shape not only how people treat male victims, but also how the courts treat male victims. A recent article discussed this issue."

Sexual harassment as ethical imperative: how Capcom’s fighting game reality show turned ugly: This is indeed a problem in the gaming community.

Boys and Body Image Tips: I really like this article for two reasons. One its talking about guys with body image issues and at this we are nowhere near the point of talking about it too much. Two it actually brought up something that I had not thought about before. You see my own body image issues were centered around wanting to be thin and perhaps that kept me from noticing that it could happen the other way with guys wanting to be larger, bulkier, and have more muscle.

Those Horrible Boys: Thanks Clarissa for pointing out that boys not wanting to write an essay on being a girl for a day does not automatically point to sexism against girls. Or at least it doesn't when you look at the fact that boys are performing terribly when it comes to education in writing/literature.


Go here to see the entire sequence.


Partner Violence Reduction Act (PVRA): Not bad for folks who were recently smeared as nasty MRAs by Southern Poverty Law center. I've seen a few women's advocates cit the smear. I guess its okay to keep Mary Daly because she has a few acts of merit but when it comes to MRAs they don't get the same consideration.

The Castle of Cagliostro: This Lupin III movie is required watching if you call yourself an anime fan. Even if you don't like it that's cool but you still need to watch it.

Court Confirms Police Don't Need A Warrant To Do A Limited Search Of A Mobile Phone: Damn.

Woman Wins Lottery and Still Gets Food Stamps: Mo Money Mo Problems.

Racial Discrimination OK Against The Right Colored People?: I have to admit. If this had been a course that was upfront saying it was for people of color only I'd have no problem with white fire fighters being left out. However from the looks of things no such policy was mentioned and whites were able to register for the workshop and were then turned away when they came to attend. And also it seems that this is the only instance where the workshop was done this way.


For extra flavor view the link to Takei dancing while listening to this.




Alright folks quick announcement. I am moving this coming Friday and I need to get to packing. Also as a result I won't be posting for a short while on a count of taking time to get settled and then getting net access up and running. Got some good news and bad news about that. Good news is I have some posts scheduled here up until about the 22nd. Bad news is I may be offline until the end of the month (when I get paid again) which leaves a week of no activity. But I don't think you folks will stop coming here altogether over a week of inactivity would you? You can still reach me by email me at dannybois-dot-corner-at-gmail-dot-com which I can get on my phone (but since its on my phone don't expect long replies from me) if you need me.

Take it easy.
-->