Tuesday, March 20, 2012

History or Hatred?

Right now in Kinston, NC there is a replica of an ironclad battleship from the Civil War era. The replica is accurate right down to the flag that it flies. The Confederate Flag.

There is no need to go into how the Civil War was basically about slavery (yeah they tell you in high school history it was about "state's rights" but it "state's rights about slavery" that actually set the war off) but from time to time I'll admit that I find myself wondering if every single use of the Confederate Flag should be wiped out.

Personally I don't think it needs to be wiped out entirely. In this particular instance the flag is not being used as showing support for the cause it once stood for. The use of this flag to me is a matter of historical accuracy.
-->