Saturday, December 24, 2011

Weekly Menu Dec. 24 - Caroline Bellefleur's Chocolate Cake

Okay as may have seen I haven't done one of these in a while. Its not that I haven't been cooking its just that I haven't been cooking anything noteworthy. But fear not I have one last go around before ending the year out.

I got this recipe a few months ago from the folks over at Fangs For The Fantasy. Apparently it has something to do with True Blood, but I neither watch not read that stuff. I'm in it for the cake.

TIME: 2 HOURS • SERVES 12
INGREDIENTS:
1 package Swansdown Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix (or Duncan Hines, if you
can’t find Swansdown anymore)
1 package (8 oz.) seedless dates
1 cup water
¾ cup sugar
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
⅛ tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. shortening
½ tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. brewed coffee
1 cup chopped pecans

I know you’ll be surprised, people of Bon Temps, that my recipe contains a mix! This has been my dark secret for many years. I’ve always driven to Clarice to make the purchase, so no one would see me. So now you know! If you’re a purist, please use your favorite chocolate cake recipe, providing it’s very moist.
Mix the cake mix and bake in a greased 9 × 13” glass pan, following the box directions.
Cook the dates, water, and sugar in a double boiler for 30–40 minutes. Spread on top of the cooled cake.
While the date mixture is cooling on the cake, mix together the confectioners’ sugar, salt, shortening, vanilla, coffee, and pecans. Spread on top of the cake. Sometimes I use pecan halves to create a pattern to make it look prettier.


Okay that's original recipe. However I didn't have all the ingredients on that list so I tweeked it a bit. And also I cut the amount of confectioners’ sugar back to 1 1/3c. I had cut it back to 1c but put in too much cappuccino and had to put an extra 1/3c in to thicken it back up.


1 package Duncan Hines Marble Fudge Cake Mix
1 package (8 oz.) chopped dates
1 cup water
¾ cup sugar
1 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
⅛ tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. butter (I haven't used shortening in years but I did have butter around the house so I swapped).
½ tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. Cappuccino (I don't even own a coffee machine. Went to a local shop to buy a cup but they were out of coffee for the day and all they had was cappuccino...)
1 cup chopped pecans

In addition to the changes to recipe itself I also changed the way the two toppings were applied. Instead of spreading the date mixture on the cake then spreading the frosting on it and making a jumbled mess on top of the cake I cut the cake in half (think like if you were cutting it two pieces to make a sandwich) and put the date mixture in between the two "layers" then put the frosting mixture on top of the top "layer".

I just ate a piece and I have to admit its not that bad. The cake itself is a bit dry but I think that's because I cooked it too long, not a flaw in the recipe. Like any other cake you can't eat too much at one time but its pretty good. Mind you I don't like so much prep time to make a cake so this won't become a regular part of my cooking rotation. But no bad.
-->