Sunday, December 18, 2011

Weekly Mashup Stage 80

You probably noticed I wasn't around much for the last few days. That's because I started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. Long story short I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!!! Now that I've spent the vast majority of the last 48 hrs playing it (seriously we're talking like 2 14 hour shifts) and gotten the initial fix out of my system back to business. And what makes it so great is that I'm actually having to pull myself away from the game. Its keeping my attention and I actually WANT to play some more rather than just feeling like I'm just going through the usual grind. But anyway.

In an effort to build up the Ethecofem community into a place where any walk of life will feel welcome to come and discuss things we are looking for another regular contributor, preferably of the female persuasion to balance things out a bit, but anyone interested is welcome. We like a variety of viewpoints, experiences, and perspectives. And as always April is on the eternal lookout for guest bloggers as well. If you're interested drop a line at ethecofem[at]gmail[dot]com.

Also feel free to treat this as an Open Thread.

Circumcision is Africa’s best weapon against AIDS: Is it now? I guess they gave up on that whole sex ed thing. Look I ultimately have no problem with adults deciding what to do with their genitals but on the other hand I do have a bit of a problem with pro-circumcision messages become pop culture (Because on the real, 'As I begin to ask him a question, a woman walks toward the pews wearing a bright yellow T-shirt with blue lettering that says: “Want to get smart? Get circumcised.”' T-shirts?). I just wonder if African men are getting the education along with the cuts. As in are they being told that circumcision doesn't grant some immunity from AIDS/HIV and that even after having done they STILL have to be smart and safe about sex.

Apparently Black Hair Products Justify Racial Segregation: Its a damn shame I have to make this reminder but it is what it is. When you put a sign up saying "Whites Only", meaning that space is designated for white people only, you cannot defend that designation without invoking racism.

The New Machismo: Men Can Stop (Insert Horrible Thing): If you want men to "break traditional gender roles" don't try to invoke those same roles when it suits you.

Do You Want Me to Follow You?: Clarissa is rebuilding her blog roll.


How can you not laugh at that?


Good Men Project: I'm way behind on keeping up with that site and it looks like they just had another blow up of posts (looks like this time its another firestorm over feminism in general) so more than likely I'll never fully catch up.

The Lost Boys of Child Prostitution: I know I'm not the only people to notice that (at least in the States) child prostitution may as well be called girl prostitution. No I'm not trying to say that these girls should be ignored but what I am saying is that its a pretty regular occurrence that discussions, talks, stories, etc... on the issue will usually turn up nothing but girl victims. Well it looks like there are more boy victims out there than a lot of people are willing to believe.


WTF??? And yes at 0:28 that is a mom putting her son's hand on her ass as she is making out with him. I'm all for jokes but seriously couldn't they have at least swapped them around so the kids weren't making out with their own parents?


See ya next week!
-->