Friday, November 18, 2011

So which is it?

Cosplay:
short for "costume play",[1] is a type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea. Characters are often[2] drawn from popular fiction in Japan, but recent trends have included American cartoons and science fiction. Favorite sources include manga, anime, tokusatsu, comic books, graphic novels, video games, hentai and fantasy movies.

Any entity from the real or virtual world that lends itself to dramatic interpretation may be taken up as a subject. Inanimate objects are given anthropomorphic forms and it is not unusual to see genders switched, with women playing male roles and vice versa. There is also a subset of cosplay culture centered around sex appeal, with cosplayers specifically choosing characters that are known for their attractiveness and/or revealing (even explicit) costumes.


Ah the wonderful art of cosplay. The chance to dress up as a fictional character, show off our costuming skills, and just have fun in ways you can't in your "normal" attire.

But enough of that I just gave you the definition so my question wouldn't sound like it came from left field. I'm going to show you an image of a person cosplaying and I want to know what you think. Ready? Go!!!



To clarify this woman here is cosplaying the character Misty from the anime Pokemon. I got a link to this from a Facebook group I'm a part of and someone brought up how disturbing it is for a someone to think that a child is "hot" (for the record the character Misty is in her early teens). While that is certainly a possibility (and there are people out there with such sick thoughts) I wonder if its actually a matter of getting to see a grown woman wear skimpy clothing.

Hear me out. I don't think its outside the realm of possibility to say that someone could look at that picture and think that the woman dressed as Misty is attractive and likes the thought of her in such clothing (also for the record Misty's breasts are nowhere near that large, yes for those of you not in the know not all anime girls/women have massive boobs that defy physics).

Now there is one pitfall to bear in mind here and I bet some of you may have even considered it.

"But Danny how do we know that a given cosplayer is an adult or not?"

Truth be told without some dead giveaway we don't. But does that mean that a cosplayer should be assumed to be too young and therefore all sexual thoughts are off limits?

What do you think?

(Oh and if you're not into women feel free to ponder this picture of L from the anime Death Note. I'm not sure if that's a woman cosplaying him but L is a teenage boy so finding him attractive should still satisfy the questions I ask above about Misty.):

4 comments:

Báyron said...

I've always felt that speculating in that manner about illegal but morally questionable actions such as what you described, or in another instance, illicit substances, is only brought up by someone who has an unusual desire to distance themselves from the subject. "There's no way I could be a pedophile," because of all the time and effort I put into defaming them. Not unlike those NOM folks or George Rekers.

Tim said...

I wouldn't couple the disturbance (or lack thereof) of sexual thoughts on the age of the person, but if this person if fully matured, adolescent or pre-pubertal.

And I don't see a problem with her cosplaying an underage (i think?), as long as people are aware that she is not a 1:1 representation of the actual Misty.

Also, what is too young for you? Keep in mind that the legal definition of too young differs from country to country (In Germany, it is <14 or <16, depending if you are over >=18 years old or not).

Danny said...

I don't wish to distance myself from it so much as hammer it out Bayron.

Tim as far as what is too young for me I'll admit that pretty much goes with the law. But in your question about maturity I think that's the clencher. I'm expecting an appropriate level of maturity when actually looking for a partner (I don't think maturity comes into play so much when just looking).

Cindy Dy said...

I find this blogger an inspiration and is definitely worth following. I've became a subscriber too, so please keep me updated. thanks once again.

www.gofastek.com

-->