Friday, November 4, 2011

If you say it, they may respond

If you recall last week I went to Dr. Pepper's Contact Us section and sent in my thoughts on the new Dr. Pepper 10 ad. I was checking my email over the weekend and saw that I got a response. Not just some system generated, "We are glad you contacted us..." bull but an actual response in which someone read what I wrote and responded back. Check it out.

October 26, 2011
Thank you for writing to us about Dr Pepper TEN and allowing us to respond to your concerns. I am a woman who loves the full flavor of Dr Pepper TEN and the fact that it’s only 10 calories. When I first saw the tongue-in-cheek advertising campaign and the tagline, my reaction was, “I’ll be the judge of that.” In other words, no one is going to tell me what I can eat or drink.

We hope you, too, will come to see our advertising campaign for what it is, a humorous take on the many men who are worried about their waistlines but are too “manly” to drink a diet soda.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations


To which I responded:
I can appreciate the concept of "I'll be the judge of that." being used to advertise the product that leaves me wondering about "many men who are worried about their waistlines but are too “manly” to drink a diet soda" you commented on. Yes it is true that there are men who worry about that, however does that really mean they should be taken in a humorous light when they could see this ad as teasing them, thus justifying their fear about said soda?

Your point that it doesn't have to be that way is a valid one, I'm just a bit concerned about the way its addressed in the ad. Surely as a woman you may have certain fears and worries. How would you feel if someone made an ad in which they made fun your fears rather then actually seriously addressing them?

Thanks for the response.


I really do like the idea that there are women out there who will respond to said ad with a "I'll be the judge of that" attitude. My problem is I don't think this ad does much good for men, especially the ones who are caught up in this idea that they need a "manly" version of a diet soda. I'm guessing this woman who responded was thinking about the ad as a woman being told, "This soda is not for you." to which I don't blame her for thinking, "I'll be the judge of that.". But let's take a moment to think about the men who believe this hype.

You have a guy that for whatever reason wants to try a soda that tastes good and isn't as bad for you as most sodas on the market. Let's say this guy is turning away from other so-called diet sodas because they aren't "manly enough" for him. Then he sees this ad. Instead of getting the message that being manly isn't a vital criteria of a diet drink he gets the idea that he should get Dr. Pepper 10 because its made for men, not those little women. How healthy can that message possibly be for anyone?

I stand by my original statement that an ad showing a man drinking it and saying while it may be targeted at men anyone can drink it would hit a much larger audience than targeting a narrow sub-set of men to drink because its "for men only" and and a sub-set of women who are going to drink just because they were told not to.

1 comment:

Báyron said...

Cool beans both for [the real person response from a company] and [the fact that this pushed up on a Google Search by your Google+.] I'm liking that feature.

-->