Saturday, October 22, 2011

So that's why...

(I'm talking about The Secret Circle books and show. Tread accordingly.)

If you recall last week I was talking about how underdeveloped Melissa from the CW's Secret Circle is. Well I found out why.

I ordered copies of the trilogy and while reading reviews of I noticed something. Most of the reviews regularly mentioned Cassie, Adam, Diane, Faye, and Nick. However I never saw any mention of Melissa in them. That's Melissa is not in the books.

Also I saw that unlike the show where the coven is 6 in the books the coven is 12. Chances are the makers of the show decided to use the 5 "main" kids and then created Melissa out of traits of some of the other 7 kids. More than likely there will be more characters introduced later on who will be created for the show and will be amalgamations of characters from the books.

Now I'm not trying to use this as an excuse for why she's so blank although it may explain it a bit. If Melissa is a mixture of other left out characters then it would be risky to mix the storylines of those other characters.

Oh and from the bit of reading I did I managed to spoil the fact that Nick will come back in some way, shape, or form.

I should get the books in one day this week and I'll get to reading them to compare them to the show. Should be interesting to see the differences.

1 comment:

womanistmusings said...

You're much braver than I. The Secret Circle is written by LJ Smith, the same person who wrote The Vampire Diaries. The only good thing about those books is the fact that they're short. I am interested to know what you think of the stories but have no plans to go anywhere near it anytime soon.

-->