Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ads, Reimagined: Dr. Pepper 10



I'm sure by now you've seen this ad right? Its a new variation of Dr. Pepper called Dr. Pepper 10. Its meant to be an ad for "a man's diet soda". I wanted to laugh a bit at the excluding of women if for no other reason than that damn Yoplait ad where the wife is on the phone talking about the things she has been eating in her efforts to lose weight. The husband, hearing about those delicious names, starts tearing through the fridge trying to find them. But Ah-Ha! They aren't the desserts he's thinking, they are actually flavors of Yoplait yogurt, he's just too stupid to realize it. But hey we're trying to be all inclusive here right?

The ad is of a guy going through several action movie tropes (like the big chase, the big explosion, and even the witty catchphrase) while addressing women.

"Enjoying the film?"

"Of course not."

"Because its our movie, and Dr. Pepper 10 is our soda."

"It's only 10 mainly calories but with all 23 flavors of Dr. Pepper its what guys want, like this."

"Catchphrase!"

"So you can keep the romantic comedies and lady drinks."

The tagline for this product is, "Its not for women."

As I said above I can understand the desire for some turn about when it comes to advertising but let's get real. Just as that yogurt ad wasn't the kindest treatment of men this ad isn't either. Now if I were filming it would do something like:

::Start with an action movie::

"Enjoying the film?"

::Switch to knitting::

"It doesn't matter."

::Switch to some sport::

"Because we're just doing what men do."

::Switch to changing a diaper::

"And Dr. Pepper is a soda aimed at men."

::Switch to playing a harp::

"Its only 10 manly calories but with all 23 flavors of Dr. Pepper. Its what guys want, like this."

::Switch to the guy hugging his children::

"Family Time!!!!"

"But don't let that stop you from drinking it."

And I'd change the tagline to, "We don't care who drinks it."

Its pretty damn insulting that an ad for something targeted at men is still in this day and age just a rundown of the stereotypical expectations of what "real men" like. As I try to convey in my reimagining of the ad different men like different things so not only is there no need to presume we are all into that narrow selection of things used in the ad but doing so actually alienates a large part of the target audience.

Damn I need a camera so I can start trying to file this stuff. Although I don't know where I'd get the cool explosions though.

2 comments:

Zen Blender said...

Hi Danny,

It’s good to see somebody post about this. I also thought that the commercial went over the line. Yes, commercials aimed at women do it all the time, but I think there is a way for men to communicate to women “we are not seeking your approval” without also adding “so fuck off.” Which is what I thought this commercial did. Also, as you said why alienate potential consumers? I mean what if women really like the taste too? I guess they figure the increased guy revenue will outweigh the alienated women. Still, I thought it was a bit tasteless, if you’ll pardon the pun.

Danny said...

Thanks for dropping by Zen.

Yes, commercials aimed at women do it all the time, but I think there is a way for men to communicate to women “we are not seeking your approval” without also adding “so fuck off.”
True.

I enjoyed your pun.

-->