Wednesday, September 7, 2011

And people wonder why geeks are shy about their passions

Making my daily rounds when I see a post by Daisy in which she comes to defense of geeks, who are being attacked by Alyssa Bereznak of Gizmodo. Well I consider myself a geek so of course I can't just let such an attack go with no response.

From the sound of it Bereznak doesn't like the idea of dating a guy who is really deep into Magic: The Gathering (for the record the only reason I don't play that game is because I live in an area where there is ZERO presence of that game, but even then I'd only be a casual player). That's fine, well, and good. I'm sure as you are reading this post you can think of some hobby-turned-way-of-life that would be a turn off in a potential partner. I have to say that if I met a woman who was this deep into Magic it may be more than what I'm willing to deal with (and unlike Berenzak I actually have some casual interest in the game). However there is a huge difference between something being a turn off and going on rude a rant. (And while she is free to choose her dates as she pleases it would take more than a few dates to figure this out with the info she gave in that post.)
I later found out that he infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people I sort of know, including one of my co-workers. Mothers, warn your daughters! This could happen to you. You’ll think you’ve found a normal bearded guy with a job, only to end up sharing goat cheese with a world champion of nerds. Maybe I’m an OKCupid arsehole for calling it that way. Maybe I’m shallow for not being able to see past his world title. But if everyone stopped lying in their profiles, maybe there also wouldn’t be quite as many OKCupid horror stories to tell.
Infiltrated his way? What the what? If I didn't know any better I would say that this woman thinks this guy owed it to her to put literally his entire life into his OKCupid profile or something. And on the real, "'warn your daughters"? He has a hobby that he takes to a level that she doesn't like. Cool. But there is no need to act like the guy sexually harassed her or something. She's talking like she met a guy that will eventually pop up on "How To Catch A Predator" on Dateline.

But just for a moment I'm going to "turn the chessboard around" for a bit (and if you get that reference then you'll know I'm an anime geek).I'm betting money there is a good chance that he doesn't plaster his Magic: The Gathering life all over his online profiles specifically because of women like this. Perhaps he wants a chance for a woman to get to know him and is worried that if he mentions Magic too soon it will scare said woman off too soon.

You see even though geek is chic when you get down to it there are still a lot of people out there who simply refuse to have anything to do with anything that might be interpreted as geek culture simply because it might be geek culture (basically meaning as long as you have the look but don't have the actual geek cred to back it up you're fit for mainstream interaction). I have to say that when I'm in conversation with new people the geek culture in me slowly reveals itself unless there is something that gives it an early nod (like say when the conversation starts off about Magic: The Gathering, no need to hold back I'll go all out, with the relatively little bit that I know).

However Bereznak just confirmed why geeks are still finding it necessary to hide their passions in hopes of finding a date. No telling how many geeks read this and decided they better keep stuff like that quiet if want a chance at romance.

I wonder if its something like this with women who are really into cars and they have to hide their love of cars thinking, and in some cases experiencing, it would be a major turn off for guys.

Thanks for the defense Daisy. A tip of the Fro to you.

7 comments:

DaisyDeadhead said...

THANK YOU! 8-)

Its Mr Daisy and that made me defend the geeks. And you know that line from the song, "He's so shy": "And he's much too good to let pass by!" These geek-haters, as I said, are cheating themselves out of some very good and loyal fellas. (sigh) The kind of men they often COMPLAIN they aren't meeting.

Well, glad I reserved mine early, before the rush. ;)

Danny said...

Funny enough when you say you got yours before the rush I imagined you and a big crowd of women running into a store and while the other women reach for the "acceptable guys" you grab your guy and call dibs, threatening to fight any woman that challenges your claim. I used to watch a lot of Scrubs and am a big fan of Happy Endings.

Feckless said...

Turn the chessboard around -> Lelouch reference?

Politicalguineapig said...

Umineko, actually. Kyrie's and Battler's favorite saying. Though, I have to admit I'm a little surprised that this story ever happened. I didn't know geeks were into white girls.

Danny said...

Oh yeah Politicalguineapig we can be. In fact if you look at most of the media portrays of types of girls/women that geeky guys go for a lot of them are white. And as far as anime geekdom is concerned (in my experience) a lot of the female presence is white.

Politicalguineapig said...

Oh, I'm not surprised that a lot of the female anime fans are white, I've just always assumed that male anime fans preferred Asian women or white women who looked like supermodels. I don't go to 'cons or socialize much, so I don't really know many fans at all, let alone what they go for in terms of partners.

Danny said...

Oh, I'm not surprised that a lot of the female anime fans are white, I've just always assumed that male anime fans preferred Asian women or white women who looked like supermodels. I don't go to 'cons or socialize much, so I don't really know many fans at all, let alone what they go for in terms of partners.
I can say that's the not the case because it would contradict with the notion that male anime fans are such hopeless dorks that they would go nuts over any female attention.

-->