Saturday, July 9, 2011

Weekly Mashup 59

I've been thinking about renaming these to something with a little more pizzazz. Any ideas?

The MRM is frighteningly effective and does nothing at all....at the same time: I guess MRAs are only as effective as the person complaining about them needs them to be in order to prove their point.

IAmA man who was raped by a woman: A reddit of female against male rape stories. There's some pretty tough stuff in there so read carefully.

Ban on Circumcision: Looks like I'm not the only one wondering why religion is suddenly justification to permanently alter someone's body against their consent.

The next frontier in selling product placement. An ad for a 2011 movie digitally inserted into a 2007 episode of a show.


We Really Hope You’re Not Gross Enough to Need a Man Bowl: If you know me well enough to shop for me let me warn you now. Buying one of these for me will result in the day not ending well for you (and as one of the commenters say if a woman buys this for me she's getting a mop and bucket in return).

Domestic Violence Isn’t Just About What Men Do to Women: While I commend the effort of the putting the spotlight on homosexual and transgender interpersonal violence two things concern me. First despite ending with the very true point of, "Clearly, this is an everyone problem. All communities, all sexual orientations, all gender identifications, all racial and ethnic groups, everyone. Any sort of person has the potential to become an abuser; any sort of person has the potential to fall into an abusive relationship. It’s amazing how many things we don’t discuss." there's not much mention of female against male violence. Two this possible push to divide DV into intimate terrorism and situational couple violence really sounds like an attempt to continue to frame it as "something that men do to women" (notice how with the intimate terrorism they are so antsy they literally say that its mostly men doing it before they even explain what it is).

How in the world did Jezebel get Men May Need More Cuddling Than Women out of Study: Men Need Cuddles, Too?

NC Mother Charged With Murder In Daughter's Death: I hope this does not became the next high profile case. Damn that Anthony trial was just a media circus of a mess. Regardless of your feelings on the verdict (and I think her race and gender played a role) that was just outrageous.

Bachmann’s Husband Calls Homosexuals ‘Barbarians’ Who ‘Need To Be Educated’ And ‘Disciplined: "When trying to figure out where presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) gets her stringent, anti-gay views, you only have to look as far as her husband. Dr. Marcus Bachmann, who has described himself as his wife’s “strategist,” runs a Christian-based counseling center in Minnesota that has been rumored to offer reparative treatment for those looking to “ungay” themselves." Good to know that Bachmann isn't responsible for her own views?

NYPD “Rape Cops” Had Prior Abusive Incident Towards A Woman: I just hope the next time someone calls a woman that kills her husband in cold blood but gets off for it is called a "murderer" anyway I hope folks don't get all bent out of shape about it.

Welcome to the world!!!: A child's (literally) first picture. Possible NSFW.

You Can’t Press Pause in This Call of Duty: A stark reminder about the reality of war.

Memo to NYC Atheists: Please Don’t Sue: I think such a lawsuit would be a hard sale unless there's proof that at least one of them was an atheist (or at least non-Christian).

RIAA Accounting: How To Sell 1 Million Albums And Still Owe $500,000: Ever wonder how a band can sell millions of albums but still be in debt?

Australian Navy to Apologise to Three Male Sailors...: While I think Christian J. goes a bit far in his zeal I think there is the valid point that people are very quick to pile on the shame and grandstanding when they think they have caught a sexual assailant but what happens when it turns out it was all a lie? All of sudden those calling for blood go deathly silent...


Later!

4 comments:

DaisyDeadhead said...

What? No Casey Anthony post? You guys finally have the greatest poster girl OF ALL TIME for your cause, and you ain't posting her here? (shakes head) I am ready to sign on, that should tell you what a great poster girl she is for mens rights.

You do know that an unattractive older woman, black woman or man (any kind) would be facing the needle right now, right? This makes your point better than anything I've seen, maybe in history. >:o

Danny said...

Not sure who "you guys" entails but you sound like you're talking about MRAs. I'm not one of them remember?

But about that case I was so disgusted by it that I didn't even want to use the space to say that I wasn't going to post about it. In fact I'm still so disgusted that a post by me would just be anger and spew, I'd end up sounding like Marcotte. I have been looking around at a few MRAs and have seen their displeasure of the outcome.

You do know that an unattractive older woman, black woman or man (any kind) would be facing the needle right now, right? This makes your point better than anything I've seen, maybe in history.
I've known that for a long time. Melissa Huckaby, Debra LeFarve, Clara Harris, Mary Winkler, etc.... The female discount when it comes to crime has been there for ages. Maybe after I calm down I'll go back and post on it.

Yeah I read your post Daisy. Publishing the names of the jury? Damn that sounds like something extreme MRAs would do. Speaking of extreme have you noticed how some bloggers are calling those cops (from NY that got off on those charges for raping a woman) "rape cops"?

DaisyDeadhead said...

Read the whole thread, when I go off on BPD... I really do think that's a whole issue with the third wave... and lookit how many people thought I was so BAAAAAD for wanting 12 people to be accountable? sigh.

I think I am turning into a libertarian, God help me. =-O

Danny said...

Hahah. But I tell you what for Renegade's comment about Marcotte I think I just got a little hard. Lovely.

Off topic how in the world do you get the "links to this post" to show up? That's like the one thing that I really want but have never been able to figure out (even with Blogger help).

-->