Thursday, July 7, 2011

...or were they being "funny"?

Recently there was a contest to find a male model running throughout the UK. Well it would seem by the time the smoke cleared a winner stood over all the others.

Hello. My Name is Roland.


Meet Roland, the winner of the contest by a rather large margin. Now I'm glad to see that there are a lot of people who seem to sincerely think that our friend here would make a good model. I really am. However this is not the first time that a person that was outside the established norm gained a foothold in the modeling world. And thinking back to the attention Miller got its now two years later how much as the outlook on the modeling industry really changed?

Maybe its just the fat hatred I've faced talking but I just get the feeling that for as many people that really and truly thought Roland would make a good model I can't help but think that there are a lot of people who voted for him for the sake of being "funny" or "different". I mean come on the outcast girl was voted prom queen in the movie "Carrie" and we all saw why that election was rigged. (Although I don't think Ronald is going to lock us in a high school gym and kill us all.)

But anyway as you can see Roland is not what would be considered conventionally attractive (acne, fat, etc...) but he still won. As I say its nice because I bet a lot of people really like the way he looks but on the other hand I wouldn't be so quick to say that this means the end of fat hatred.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I don't know if they did it because they wanted to troll Next or not, but the UK certainly likes voting for underdogs. Look at the winners of 'Britain's got Talent' for example. Especially Susan Boyle and Paul Potts.

Danny said...

Yeah Tim its possible that it was a matter that most people really did like him over the others. But I've lived enough fat hatred to know that it would be naive to not consider trolling.

-->