Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Weekly Menu June 7 Pt. 2

Okay so I mentioned my side dish Mushroom Cheddar Casserole. Allow me to talk about my main dish. I got the recipe from bestrecipes.com but modified it a bit.


Tandoori Chicken

4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

2 teaspoons turmeric

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon Indian curry powder

1 teaspoon ground cardamom

½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)

2 teaspoon fresh ginger root, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

¾ cup low fat plain yoghurt



Okay when I went out shopping for the spices (and OMG why is cardamom almost $5 an ounce?) I didn't get any lemon juice because I thought I had some at home. Well it turns out I didn't but that little tidbit came to light only when I started cooking and all the stores were closed. Thankfully I did have lime juice. Fuck Yeah Close Enough. And I couldn't find any fresh ginger root so I used ground ginger (but I know the potency of fresh so I doubled how much I used). Also I doubled the recipe overall (meaning I used 8tsp of ground ginger in all) because I used 7 chicken breasts instead of 4.

After cleaning the chicken you want to slice it so each piece is about 1/5in thick (allows marinade to penetrate better and for the chicken to cook faster later). Sprinkle with lime juice and place to one side. Mix together next nine ingredients in a bowl. Add yoghurt and mix well. Coat the chicken fillets completely with the tandoori mixture. Cover the bowl and place into the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Okay I have to bite the bullet on this one. I didn't fully read the directions and thought that it had to be grilled. I am minus grill so I decided to bake it in the oven (I marinated it in a pyrex baking dish overnight then baked on 350 for 60min.) Let me tell you it looked horrible but it tasted so f'n good. Juicy and just a hint of spices. However since I was basically baking yogurt in the oven all the water came out of it and think that cost me a lot of my seasoning in the chicken.

Mental note: Make sure to fully read cooking directions to see if pan frying is an option when the grill is no go.
Mental note 2: Buy a grill.

Enjoy!
-->