Monday, April 4, 2011

Working on being a man pt.9

This is one of many parts in the ongoing series of working on being a man. They aren't in any special order I just number them to keep up with them.

Goodness I was so busy today at work that I wasn't even able to do my usual blog surfing for things to read later (I had to actually work today, I know right?). So imagine my surprise when I came across this little gem by Renee.



We have a problem here.

Okay I know I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again (this is meant to be a place for beginnings of manhood so yes there will be repetition of the basics). One's sexuality is NOT a defining part of being a man. When I first heard that ad I heard Billy Dee Williams say "I don't have any problem with....." and I was like "Fuck Yeah Billy, there's nothing wrong with being gay and now there's another mainstream voice, and badly needed one in terms of him being a black man saying it." There I heard the rest "....the gay people. No Homo."

Dammit.

You see one of the worst things that we as men have internalized is homophobia. We live in a society that constantly tells us that we must be straight in order to count as "real men". To break away from this once and for all would be a major victory for men everywhere. Imagine a world where a man can just be whatever sexual orientation that fancies him. Men, women, either/or, neither, or something else I haven't thought of.

That's why it pains me when I see displays like this that sink us right back in that hole.

Unlike the original Dos Equis ads this is spoofing, which while not perfect are of at least some value, this is not just worthless but is actually counterproductive. Counterproductive to the goal where men can be free to have whatever sexual orientation that suits them. Counterproductive to the goal of eliminating misandric acts and words of homophobia.

You know its times like this I wish I were bold enough to record video of myself (I'm still working on photos, not quite up to video yet). I'd make an ad that would actually say something like, "Why should anyone have a problem with gay people?"

2 comments:

Marc Jones said...

I'd make an ad that would actually say something like, "Why should anyone have a problem with gay people?"

I would watch the hell out of that vid. These post are great,

2020

Danny said...

Thanks for dropping by Marc. Who knows maybe when I get my confidence up and get some equipment....

-->