Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I think its about time to buy a Blu Ray player...

I love the Lord of the Rings movies. Mainly because they are the only way I can make through the entire story. I've tried reading the trilogy three times and everytime I get stuck about halfway through the second book, it Tolkein takes too many damn pages to describe stuff. So I've taken a bit of liking to the movies.

More than likely these movies will be among those that will stand the the test of time and there aren't many that can do that. By stand the test of time I mean go back and watch it 15-20 years later and it still holds your attention. Off the top of my head I can only think of Ghostbusters I, True Lies, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Right now I only have the standard theatrical cut dvds. I know you're asking, "But Danny if you like them so much then why not get the other editions with more stuff?" My answer is, "Because studios are greedy bastards and will milk fans for all they can. (just look at Lucas and the Star Wars movie franchise that seems to re-release about every 10 years.) Wait a while and a really badass collection will come along. And that time has come. Take a look at Think Hero for a list of what will be in this edition.

I know that with The Hobbit coming down the pike there will someday be a Super Ultimate Omaga Grand Edition with the the trilogy and The Hobbit together but I have to admit that after looking at Amazon's pre-order listing (plus a comparison chart for all the editions of the trilogy so you can decide which one to pick) I am really tempted to buy this....and I don't even own a Blu Ray player.

Oh and did I mention that that link to The Movie Blog is talking about a the replaying the extended editions in theaters again this coming June? Where each movie has at least an extra 30min. of extra content? Meaning that if you were to do a LotR marathon it would run a shade over ELEVEN hours!
-->