Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Possible breakthrough in Prostate Cancer diagnosis

As you may or may not know he curren PSA test used to check for prostate cancer is not the most accurate. The blood test is prone to producing false positives. Well it looks like the folks at the Prostate Project have come up with a more accurate test.

According to the Prostate Project there is a protein by the name E-N-2 that is only produced by cancerous prostate cancer cells. Scientists have developed a urine test that tests for this protein. So far the test seems to be about 60%-70% accrate, while not perfect it is more accurate than the current PSA test which takes a blood sample and tests for specific antigens that may or may not be a sign of cancer.



This may look promising. If things go well for this UK based organization I really hope it makes its way over here to The States.

And apparently this is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.

2 comments:

TitforTat said...

I read somewhere that from the age of 25 to 50 if a male has at least 4-5 orgasms a week he has a 30% less chance of getting prostate cancer. I think I like that, so what if I go blind. :-P

Danny said...

I read something like that a while back myself TitforTat. Not sure where but I'm pretty sure it was a serious story.

-->