Friday, March 4, 2011

Oh yeah!

I'm still working out a few things and applying some personal settings but for the most part my new pc is up and running. And let me say how good it feels to have build a pc a nearly all by myself for the first time. As a person who considers himself an IT professional I think that building a pc from scratch is just something that I have to do at least once (and rest assured this will not be the last time). So let's tally up the monetary damage shall we?

Case - COOLER MASTER Elite RC-330: I got mine for about $75 at a computer shop.

Motherboard (sometimes called mobo for short) - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX: I'm just linking here for the description. Gave up about $85 for mine at Buy.com.

Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor: I managed to get this and the RAM (I'll get to that in a bit) in a combo deal for $140 from New Egg.

Memory (or RAM) - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model: This and the processor together for $140. But if only it were that easy...

Hard Drive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive: An awesome deal as $55.

Power Supply - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply: Even the best computer needs power. I paid $90 for this.

Optical Drive (optical drive means CD/DVD/BluRay, any drive that uses an optical laser to read/write data) - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner: A rather nice buy at $20.

Video Card - HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP: Goodness I paid $75 for mine last year look at how much it is now...

and finally.....

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders: Yes you read that $140 right.

The reason I mention what I paid for these parts is I didn't just buy them all at once but rather over time (some as much as over a year ago) and prices change over time at technology advances (and a is discontinued, notice how a few of them were out of stock).

Well construction came about 2 weeks ago. And it was interesting to say the least. I actually got all the hardware put together in about 30min....then took almost 2 weeks to get an operating system (commonly called OS) installed on it. My original plan was to install Linux and fiddle around with that for a few weeks until I got paid again and then drop down on that copy of Windows 7. Well Ubuntu 10.10 (a version of Linux) did not install. After wracking my brain over why for a few weeks I just said screw it and coughed up for the Windows 7 ahead of schedule...just to have it not install either.

However unlike Ubuntu, Windows 7 actually gave me an error (or perhaps Ubuntu did too and was just looking in the wrong place) to work with. I looked it up and a lot of the advice on it pointed to checking the RAM. I chose one of the two sticks of RAM to pull out and tried starting the system with just the other stick...and it came on and started installing Windows 7 like clockwork.

So now I'm working on getting all moved into my new PC and whatnot. The final price tag on it was $680. Mind you this was only for the tower. I'm using my previous monitor (which I had in mind to replace before getting that copy of Window 7 on a count of it having 4 vertical lines running through it, a sign of imminent failure), mouse, keyboard, and everything else. I most certainly could have bought a premade machine for about the same amount of money and gotten all new monitor and stuff but 1. I really didn't have that much to drop down at once and 2. I wanted the experience of building one myself.

Even with the headaches with the OS I still enjoyed doing it and will certainly do it again some day.

Back to action!

2 comments:

desipis said...

Good to here you got it up and running! Shame you had to drop the extra dollars on Windows 7, you should get a few fancy tools with the professional version to play around with though.

Danny said...

Well I was gonna drop the money for it later rather than sooner so its not all bad. I'm just ready to do some gaming with it. Its not a high end gaming machine but its a serious improvement over my last system.

-->