Saturday, February 26, 2011

Perhaps not the greatest jump off point.

So it would seem that the Mens Health Blog has taken on a feminist writer by the name of Kiera Aaron. Not a bad idea in and of itself. Sounds like the folks over there are trying to include more perspectives. Nothing wrong with that right? Well there is one thing about her introduction post that turns me off.

While Keira does the usual job of going after the hyperbole and stereotypes of what people think a feminist is she does absolutely nothing to address where the actual justified negative opinions of feminists and feminism come from.

No mention of how there are actual feminists that hate men. No mention of how some feminists deny the experiences of men (and those of women that don't tow the line). No mention of how some feminists try to take credit for anything that may be positive and try to make it synonymous with the adjective use of the word feminist. No mention of how outright dismissive, condescending, and downright hostile a lot of feminists can be. No mention of how some feminists engage in some of the very behaviors that they claim to be against. And so one and so on.

By no means am I trying to say that feminism is nothing but a hate movement but for someone that that wants readers to, "...forget what you think you know about the “F Word,” have an open mind, and get ready to talk sex, stereotypes, pop culture, and possibly definitely not bra burning." you would think that they would get an actual handle on why people hold the opinions they do about feminism and feminists rather than just propping them up as perfect infallible angels that commit no wrong but are always under relentless attack.

Thing is there is a lot of negativity in that movement and trying to sweep it under the rug like it doesn't exist doesn't help feminists themselves and it sure as hell doesn't help folks like me that have been turned off by said negativity.

Hell you could almost call that post feminisplaning (nod to the feminists that haven't been able to go a day without using the word mansplaning since they found out it was the next hip silencing tactic).

I wish Kiera luck over there but just coming in and basically telling people their opinions on feminism are nothing but bullshit and stereotypes might not be the greatest jump off point.

4 comments:

Tim said...

I see what you mean and she definitively could have formulated that a lot better.

I think she might be afraid of backlash from the dedicated feminist community. I mean she is blogging for a magazine thats usually not aligned with feminist value and her appearance there has already been met with suspicion.

Danny said...

I can understand the fear of backlash from feminists but with an opening volley like that she is almost certain to get backlash from anti-feminists, non feminists, men, women, and who knows who else in general.

RenKiss said...

I don't ask this to be a feminist bitch in any way. And you have stopped by my blog by the way long ago (thanks for stopping by the way).

I've been looking at your blog for some time now, and I'm just wondering...what does it really matter to you what feminists think? Yes I know you feel some hostility towards feminists (not surprising many people do) because they've been hostile towards you.

But I'm just saying, why bother to care what we think? Also I noticed in a previous you linked a blog about male sexual abuse, it seems to me that it's society in general who believes that males can't be victims of sexual assault, not just feminists. In fact, a lot of times it seems a lot of men themselves perpetuate this myth. But yes I understand why you'd focus specifically feminists, because we're supposed to address issues like that.

I'll be the first to say, of course the feminist movement has a lot flaws. All movements do. The civil rights movements was known for being very sexist. The LGBT movement is known for being racist and a whole level of isms. The reason why I don't bother with American feminism anymore is because of the isms. I'm trying to move towards a more global type of feminism. Yeah it's kind of silly but what can you do? So I guess I'm saying don't worry about what feminists think.

Take care.

Danny said...

Hey Ren.

But I'm just saying, why bother to care what we think?
Mainly because I'd like to see them hold themselves to the standards they seem to want to hold others to. As you may have noticed in my reading I'm really fighting the urge to write feminists off as a bunch of angry man haters because that opinion is unfair and ultimately useless.

In fact, a lot of times it seems a lot of men themselves perpetuate this myth. But yes I understand why you'd focus specifically feminists, because we're supposed to address issues like that.
Its not even that I think they are supposed to address issues. It wouldn't bother me if they simply never brought up those issues. But time and again its a matter of saying in one breath that they are the ones that care about those issues while in the next denying the experiences of people with those issues. Pretty hypocritical.

So I guess I'm saying don't worry about what feminists think.
At the end of the day I really shouldn't I supposed. But if we are all ever gonna hope to get on the same page there will have to be some degree of caring about what folks on the other sides think. What racked my nerves in that intro is that she pretty much patted me on the head, told me I really didn't know anything about feminism, then told me to shut up and find out "what its really about".

-->