Thursday, February 24, 2011

How do you stay connected?

One of the most important things you need if you're gonna call yourself a blogger is sources. Sources for facts, sources for reports and studies, sources for news, sources for events. These things are the life blood of many bloggers.

And they are also one of my biggest weak points.

Over time I've only managed to collect a rather small set of places I to read and places to pull information from. I need to work on that. I think my main problem is that I don't have a lot of time to do the looking and scouring needed to get the good stuff. I look at my time during the day and in addition to being at a job where most of the internet is blocked for about 8hr. and sleeping for about 6hr that leaves me about 9hr for everything else. Not a whole lot to work with right?

So my question you more seasoned bloggers (or at least those with better time management skills) how do you look for news and do you have any particular gems you're willing to share?

2 comments:

April said...

I use Twitter for ideas the most. I follow mostly other bloggers of social justice activists, as well as a bunch of columnists, so they post a LOT of links. If you sign up for a paper.li account, you can have all of the links that people you follow share put into an online newspaper format, which is really neat.

I also get a lot of inspiration from links my Facebook friends.

Also, I've recently started reading more bigger-name columnists, like Ezra Klein, which is giving me a ton of inspiration. The things about following the writing of people like that is that when you want to write about a topic they just covered, you're more likely to get a lot of readers who are interested in discussing different perspectives of the articles, because they're familiar with them already.

Danny said...

If you sign up for a paper.li account, you can have all of the links that people you follow share put into an online newspaper format, which is really neat.
I was wondering how you were putting that thing together every single day. Just made one with my own Twitter account. Awesome.

-->