Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Back to action

I was watching a Law & Order: SVU marathon on Sunday and between that and surfing the net I just didn't care about the Super Bowl or the round of ads that sometimes get more hype than the game itself. As I said I'll be going at these over time as I catch them. I'm just gonna make a post for them as I see them.

My thanks to the crew over at Feminist Critics for showing me the first two targets. As an advance warning the first ad may very well trigger boys/men who have been attacked by women and those of us with testicles may have a hard time with the second one.

No the things I point out in these posts aren't the only problems with those ads but I'm not going to pretend that I can see everything wrong in them. And that goes for any I come across in the future.


Okay right out the gate we can see that this ad holds up the idea that women harming men is not a problem but rather funny and that he deserves it for not making the right choices. Now I'm sure there are people that will somehow try to twist into the black woman (who is portrayed as the "sassy black woman") being the victim here by some way of trying to say that this allows people ignore male against female violence. Bullshit.

The thing is female against male violence is not only not seen as not wrong but as you see here its not simply justified but is actually encouraged and makes a clever marketing tool. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people out there that even they haven't been abused by women (myself included, I've never been abused but this ad does not sit well with me) do not like this ad. And that's not even counting the men who have been attacked in such a manner and watched this ad. I wonder how many of them saw it and felt they had to stay silent. Problem is no one will want to listen to them because the message that if a man is attacked by a woman he deserves it is so ingrained into our culture that such men that do say something about this will be written off as cowards, pansies, pussies (all loaded words with problems of their own) and my personal favorite trying to "make it all about teh menz". Something must be done about that.

(Oh and at the end where she hits that white woman with the can. Is it me or does it look like she was aiming for her husband and merely hit that woman by mistake? Or that the commercial started off when her intentionally hitting her husband in a crowded restaurant and it was no problem but possibly accidentally hitting another woman when there's no one else on screen means its time to run. I'm sure there's some race tied in with that one too.)

I am so glad this was only a finalist. Even though I'm disappointed in Pepsi for even allowing this ad to run in the competition. You can't tell me that they didn't have the authority to not allow this entry (you know those contests almost always have a clause that says they have the right to refuse any entry or at least they'd be setting themselves up for disaster if they didn't).

Edit: Oh my goodness. I just went to the site and apparently it won. Does this mean we will be subjected to this shit for the next several months? Fraid so.


As we all know one of the classic marketing tools to get someone to buy their products is to liken the opposite choice with a really terrible thing. Don't buy the right car and you family will get injured. Don't buy the right toothpaste and your teeth fall out. You get the drill. This time its "driving without car insurance is like getting kicked in the testicles".

(I wonder how they market to people who don't have testicles? Well I suppose you could argue that its about "genitals" in general and not specifically testicles but if that were the case then wouldn't there have been some people other genital arrangements getting the same treatment? Oh rest assured it would still be wrong because from what I understand getting hit in the genitals is very painful even if your genital arrangement doesn't include testicles. But that wouldn't be as socially acceptable though...)

I've asked before and I'll ask again. Why is it so hard to come up with an ad campaign that doesn't depend on harming (physical, emotional, or otherwise) a segment of people? Is human nature so fucked up that we can't get behind an ad campaign unless we can laugh at someone else?

These are only the first of many I'll bet...

8 comments:

Sonja Newcombe said...

It's one of the things I like about Aussie beer ads. I'm australian, I hate beer, but some of the best ads I've come across are for beer.

XXX Gold are major sponsors of the V8 Supercars - my favourite motorsport, which I try to watch almost religiously. Their ads are thus always played when the V8s are on, and one of my favourites is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTRUoqy595M

And never to be outdone, the Kiwi's did an awesome ad for Toyota's Hilux Ute. If you say to almost any Aussie "The Bugger ad", they'll know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKY_OysWu3k

Danny said...

Hey there Sonja. Are we doing okay these days?

I really liked that Bugger ad. It manages to show that guys can and do mess up without making them fucking morons void of basic common sense (well except for the cow stuck in the mud).

Daran said...

"Is it me or does it look like she was aiming for her husband and merely hit that woman by mistake?"

I thought she was obviously aiming at him, and only hit the other woman because he ducked. It never even occurred to me to interpret it as an intentional attack on the other woman.

Jut Gory said...

"Oh and at the end where she hits that white woman with the can. Is it me or does it look like she was aiming for her husband and merely hit that woman by mistake?"

She was aiming at the husband. When I first saw (during the superbowl), I was not paying attention and thought the woman was a guy; so, one form of violence against a man exchanged for another. Then, when I watched it again, afterward, it appeared to me that the black man was checking out the white woman jogging by and that is what got the black woman angry.

So, initially, I only really saw the acceptability of violence against men. After seeing other commentaries on it, I guess I can understand the caricature of the angry black woman. But, if you want to stir the pot some more, throw in the interracial sexual dynamic, as well.
-Jut

Danny said...

Just wanted to hear someone else say it.

Danny said...

So, initially, I only really saw the acceptability of violence against men. After seeing other commentaries on it, I guess I can understand the caricature of the angry black woman. But, if you want to stir the pot some more, throw in the interracial sexual dynamic, as well.
Oh I agree that that there is more going on. The reason I spoke on the violence against men angle is:

1. That that is what resonated with me the strongest.

2. Fear of making the letter too long. I get the feeling if its too long it will just be ignored.

3. By sharing the contact information other people who have issues with this ad will write in too.

Sonja Newcombe said...

As I posted on Fem Crits, no, not going crash-hot.

Anyway, Aussies love to poke fun at New Zealand. And they us. We're like siblings in that regard.

A TV show called "The Gruen Transfer" got in trouble for these ads a while back, promoting the invasion of NZ by Australia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RenRILqwhJs&feature=related

Personally, I love them. The second one is a rip-off of the Tourism NZ ads.

Danny said...

Those ads are funny. Its nice to see a friendly rivalries like that. And by the way.

As I posted on Fem Crits, no, not going crash-hot.

Not sure what you mean by crash-hot.

-->