Friday, December 10, 2010

Weekly Menu December 5 Extra Stage!!!

Its not that I've stopped cooking its just that I haven't cooked anything worth noting lately. Until last weekend.

Jerk Crusted Chops

1 pork loin sliced into about 1/2in. thick pieces.

1 bag of croutons (I used some that were garlic and butter flavored but don't be scared to experiment)

Sea Salt

Black Pepper

Jamaican Jerk Seasoning

This one is pretty straight forward. Crush the croutons as finely as you can (I put them in a ziploc bag and rolled them over with a coffee cup, I don't own a rolling pin) and add in the sea salt, black pepper, and Jamaican Jerk Seasoning. Shake the bag up to get all the ingredients to mix well. Put the chops in the bag to coat them in seasoning. On your stove top start heating up a skillet with about a 1/2in. of oil in the bottom. You'll know its hot enough when you lay just a small portion of one of the chops into the grease and it immediately starts to sizzle and cook. Give each chop about 5min. on each side and they are done. (Okay I admit I cheat a bit by cutting the largest one down the middle to check for doneness, if its done and assuming heat distribution is even then the others are done too.)

I have to say that I put in a bit too much sea salt. Might have been because I forgot to account for the Jerk Seasoning (which is a combination of other spices) having salt in it.

Ta da! Jerk Crusted Chops!!!



ChocoMint Pie

(This recipe actually creates 2 separate pies.)

2 x chocolate cookie crusts (they are usually in the store near where the graham cracker crusts would be)

2 x 8oz. containers of Cool Whip

About 10 Oreo Cookies

2 Your Peppermint Patties

1 Box of Chocolate Pudding Mix

About 1c milk

I'll bet you can see where this is going right?

Go ahead and open the crusts so they are ready to pour in the filling.

In a large mixing bowl toss in one of the containers of Cool Whip and stir it up a bit to loosen it up. Add in the pudding mix. Now notice that when you add in the pudding mix the Cool Whip dries up a bit? That's what the milk is for. I said about 1 cup because I only used about 1/3 and in the end it was still a bit dry for my liking. Use your own judgment and add in enough milk so that the pudding/Cool Whip mix returns to Cool Whip like texture. Crush your Oreos up and mix them in. Once you have this mixed together divide it between your two chocolate cookie crusts. See how each crust is only about half full? We're about to fix that real quick.

Wash your bowl out and this time toss in the other container of Cool Whip. Chop up the York Peppermint Patties and mix them together. Divide this mixture across both crusts.

Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to let it set a bit, slice and enjoy.

Vola! ChocoMint Pie.
-->