Monday, November 15, 2010

Yes, but does that make it a date?

(This is one of a few posts about things that happened over the course of my vacation.)

Let me tell a story while you think about the question in the title of this post. Oh I already have an answer I'm just curious what you think.

So this past Friday a woman picked me up, we ate at a restaurant of her recommendation (we each covered our own but there was no discussion of it, it just happened that way), went to a cafe/bar of her recommendation (I bought her a drink then she bought us a pitcher of Sangria), we went to a Krispie Kreme for donuts (we each covered our own with no question), we walked around looking for other haunts but came up empty (its was 1am at this time but places were still charging covers even though they were shutting down at 2am), we called it a night and she took me back home.

So I ask, "Was this a date?"

Points of clarification.
1. This is the same woman I spoke about in this post last year (where we called a night early because of snow).

2. We actually had a tangent conversation about whether or not it was a date. I'll admit threw it out there as a way to test her reaction but in the end we both agreed it wasn't.

3. I discussed this with 2 close friends (both guys for clarification) and they fell the "It was a date." camp.

4. We've got tentative plans to get together again next year (remember she's in Washington DC and I'm in Eastern North Carolina, about a 6 hour trip).


If you have any other inquiries feel free to ask (but obviously no exacts like her name or anything like that). What I'm getting at here is what (in your mind) makes a date a date. Do certain acts need to be performed? Is there a time limit? Is it just a matter of the people involved calling it a date?

What are your thoughts on this?

3 comments:

Schala said...

I'd say it's just a matter of the people involved calling it a date.

Some people might think going dutch "negates" the date thing, but I don't buy it. It might have, in a time long-past when women worked much less often than men did, paying for her meant you were, at least attempting, to take over the provider role of her father.

Now I see it as being a matter of who is most comfortable financially for paying. If both are, then both can pay, or pay for both once and have the other pay the next time. She could very well be the more financially secure of the two, especially if he's a student/unemployed and she's working full time.

Danny said...

I'd say it's just a matter of the people involved calling it a date.
That's the conclusion I came up with.

On the subject of paying here's a detail I just remembered. When we were at the restaurant she actually offered to cover me.

Danny said...

I'd say it's just a matter of the people involved calling it a date.
That's the conclusion I came up with.

On the subject of paying here's a detail I just remembered. When we were at the restaurant she actually offered to cover me.

-->