Friday, November 5, 2010

Oppotunity vs. Outcome

So I'm reading an article by Jennifer Lawless at CNN today and I'm reminded of how some people tend to think that equality can only be measured in outcome and may not notice equality in opportunity.

Lawless goes into the number of seats that women candidates lost after Tuesday night's round of elections. And as far as the numbers are concerned she is on the money. However I think there might be something she is missing.

Despite the numbers of women candidates that lost that night I have to say that it seems to me that women candidates had stronger showings this time around than in the recent past. And most interesting of all despite the "Man up" nonsense (oh and you know I'll be getting to that later) most of these women seemed to not be riding the "vote for me because I'm a woman" ticket.

In the end I think that even though women may have lost seats I think its worth noting that women candidates seemed to have commanded a larger presence on the campaign trails this year. And I think that some serious progress worth noting considering how far women candidates have come.

Now I'm certainly not trying to say that this mitigates away the fact that there aren't that many woman in the seats of power. I'm saying that I think its a bit short sighted to say that there was no progress made.
-->