Monday, November 29, 2010

Diary of a Bad Black Man

I've never liked Tyler Perry's movies*. I've watched a few of them and from what I've heard it seems like watching one means you've watched them all. And it was when I came across this article today that I decided I needed to get around expressing my displeasure with them here.

Simply put according to Tyler there are only two types of black men. First is the morally bankrupt thug that hates women (mostly black women). Second is the hard working Christian man that is down on his luck. That's it. No more no less. Given that I'm neither of those men I apparently don't exist.

Don't get me wrong here. I am fully aware that for a lot of people the content in those movies is a representation of what their lives are. I'm not trying to say that there are no morally bankrupt thugs, hard working Christian men, and the black women caught in between them. What I am saying is that there is a huge difference between occasionally telling this story and building a movie franchise off of stereotypes.

So maybe when Perry learns that there are other black men out there that aren't trying to be woman hating criminals or Christians trying to start a relationship with a woman with God as his savior then maybe I'll give his movies the time of day.


* - And those Madea movies bother me too. Why? Because I'm finding to be less and less funny to see someone who is not part of a certain group dress up like a member of said group and then proceed to make money off of getting people to laugh at that group and the stereotypes that haunt them. This is also why I'm kinda glad that Eddie Murphy's career has fallen off. Karma for those Nutty Professor movies.

2 comments:

womanistmusings said...

I personally find Perry to be the king of coonery and buffonary. Whether we are talking about men or women, Perry's characters are cardboard cut outs who are barely two dimensional. The Madea character is nothing more than a genderized minstrel show and I really don't know how his skin does not crawl with shame every time he puts on a dress. Sorry for the rant but I am just not rational when it comes to him.

Danny said...

Oh by all means rant away. In addition to the two types of black men I mention in that post the "Sassy Black Granny" has also been a tool for building his fortune.

-->