Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's always the good ones that are taken...

As you may know I am a bit of a fan of Huge. So imagine my surprise when I found out today it has been canceled.

I'm mad.

What I liked about the show is that it covered things that any teenager is likely to deal with (crushes, problems with parents, sexuality) and did it without acting like every single subject that happened in each episode had to center around each character's fat. The showed portrayed that fat teens have the same standard teenage issues as "normal sized people".

I'm actually really upset that the show was canceled but it doesn't not surprise me. People don't want to see people who seem different being show that they are just regular people who have regular problems. No TV has survived for so long on the tactic of making fun of, insulting, or otherwise ostracizing certain groups for the sake of entertaining other groups that its ingrained in our culture to think that someone must be on the outside in order for tv to be considered good.

Now while I would not be so quick to act like feminism is the magic bullet to addressing the way fat people are portrayed on tv the writer of the post does make the very valid point that being fat doesn't make one any less human.

But alas we'll never see if Alastair gets together with Becca, if Ian and Amber were going to hit it off, if Trent would go on to actually develop as a character, if Dante would truly see the error of his ways and change. Damn shame.

This is a sad day indeed. I guess I should be glad that I still have Pretty Little Liars to satisfy my teen drama fix.
-->