Thursday, September 9, 2010

Respect and Mercy eh?

This is a quick one that caught my eye today. I was reading Yahoo News about Iran saying they will release one of the three hikers they have been holding for the last 13 months. There was one line that caught my attention in that story.
During the American hostage crisis in 1979-1981, Iran first released women and African-Americans as a sign of respect for women and mercy toward minorities.
This bothers me a bit. I know this is in the past and not much time should be spent on it but I think it is worth taking a moment to look at.

I'm not much of a fan of treating someone special because of their gender or race. But everytime I see things like this the first thing that comes to mind is that damn damaging code of chivalry. Now I know that women have been and are mistreated throughout the world but but to then give women special treatment as if their lives mean more?

And about African-Americans. Makes me wonder if I were on that flight when would have I been released. I mean apparently I'm worthy of mercy but not respect.

Weird. I'll be so glad when we get to the point where everyone is equal...
-->