Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Working on being a man pt.4

Its been a while since I made an entry on this but I came across a post at Tranifesto that sparked a little something. Now mind you I'm barely scratching the surface of what Matt is getting at so I highly recommend you go check him out.

(This is one of many parts in the ongoing series of working on being a man.)

Let me ask you something. Do you think your body needs to be wrapped in a specific package or come with certain parts in order to be considered a man?

Of course not. I could break down and go into all the parts that make up what we often associate with being a man but lets just go straight to that one. Yes I'm talking about the penis.

As our current understanding of biology says those of us who have penises are ID'd as male. And according to the script those of us who are male are supposed to be men and the penis is supposed to be a defining part of one's manhood.

Its not that serious.

The thing is trying to bind the definition of being a man to something as arbitrary as a penis (or any body part) is just a method of trying to bind people to certain expectations and/or exclude people from an certain group and/or trying (and let me tell you as a man that this side of grass is not always greener despite what a lot of people may say). I myself have a penis, enjoy having it, am not ashamed of having it, and wouldn't give it up for anything. But I can safely say (well I can now, I can't be certain of how long I've felt this way but the answer isn't always) that that isn't what makes me a man.

There's really not a lot to it. No long post that takes 20min. to read. No attempt at trying to flood you with stats and numbers in order to make the post look thought provoking. No just as simple as this.

Having a penis is not indicative of being a man.

As for what indicative...well I'll get into that another day.

2 comments:

lormarie said...

Interesting POV. A penis doesn't make one a man otherwise we might start calling every 3 year old boy a man. That might be the reason why a lot of people use the term male rather than men in some cases.

Danny said...

Yeah. But I think its also worth bearing this in mind with not only young boys but also with even adults who identify as men but don't have a penis. This post was inspired by the post I mention in the link at the top of the post by a transgender man. Not every person who transitions to male has the genital reconstruction surgery (for many reasons). Just because they don't have a penis does not mean they aren't men. Hell this would also include those born in bodies that biology calls female (and not having a penis) but still perform as men.

-->