Saturday, August 7, 2010

Weekly Mashup Stage 10

In my every so busy week I just don't have time to write out fleshed out thoughts on every thing article/post/story I my eyes cross paths with. Hell there are even headlines that catch my eye but I never actually go back and read them. (Which reminds me. Disclaimer: Just because I post it here doesn't mean I fully agree with or believe in it.)

Bulletin Board v86 Toy Soldier's Weekly Bulletin Board

One Case Shows Folly of Child Support Interest: A really messed up case of child support interest. "So we've got a man living in abject poverty, but that's not the real bad news. The bad news is that he'll always be there. He'll live that way until the day he dies. His current indebtedness is about $95,000. At 9% per annum, the interest alone will run about $8,550, while his $435 monthly payment totals $5,220 per year. In other words, he's adding about $3,330 per year to his debt. Even Sisyphus had it better than Williams. If Williams lives to be, say, 80, his children will be in their forties, fifties and sixties, he'll still be paying for them, still be living in poverty and be about $196,000 in debt. "

How to counter rape as a weapon of war: "He [Chris Dolan] added: "It is quite amazing how, once the terms of a debate have been set - in this case about sexual violence being something affecting women only - it becomes impossible and even unthinkable to discuss other realities."" (I actually got this from Toy Soldier's Bulletin Board but thought it needed a place up front.)

Make Your Own In-N-Out Double-Double Burger at Home: I have no idea what an In-N-Out Burger is but apparently their Double Burger is good enough that people have taken the time to reverse engineer it in order to discover how to make them at home.

Life, Panoramic: Life, Panoramic is a new site (by a former writer at the tech blog Gizmodo) whose purpose is to share the stories of as many hometowns as possible. Whose stories you ask? Why yours. The site takes photo submissions (which captions/descriptions) and posts them for the world to see. I'm really thinking of submitting my home town. I think I can safely bet that no one would know it was me.

What is “The Mirror”?: "The most fun I had getting dressed up as a man was when I was able to think of that clothing as a costume, not really “me,” and when I was with good friends. Prom comes to mind as a time when I didn’t like the clothing I was wearing, but still had fun with the whole experience of getting dressed up and going out."

How to read (and comment on) a motherfucking blog post: Yeah this one is going over to the Interesting Tidbits section.

Obama signs bill reducing cocaine sentencing gap: "The Fair Sentencing Act repeals a five-year mandatory sentence for first time offenders, and for repeat offenders with less than 28 grams of crack cocaine. The old law set the mandatory sentence for conviction at five grams."

Men’s Movement: A Plea for Unity: If our proletariat (average members) were better informed, they could exert sufficient influence upon leaders to work in unison, but the printed and internet forums that exist are too small to do the necessary educating. One internet forum pursues tangential issues.
It’s easy to see what’s wrong with us, but it’s much harder and more complicated to address the problems.

4 Myths about Alcohol: By all means get your drink on, but get your drink on responsibly.

See ya later.
-->