Thursday, June 10, 2010

Apparently they are still having trouble with it.

A while back I did a little venting over the thought that feminists have monopoly over the idea of equality for all people. It would seem I need to say it again.

I'll get back to the main subject of the post another day but there is one part I need to pick a bone with now:
In one of my sociology lectures, which held in excess of 100 students, the professor asked everyone in the class who was a feminist to raise their hand.

I observed as several females raised their hand in support. One lone male did the same, garnering grins and laughs from his fellow male counterparts. Apparently, showing open support for equality in gender is not cool, and certainly not macho.


Okay folks say it with me. Feminists are NOT the only ones who stand up for gender equality and to say that they are is a massive disservice to those of us who are not feminist, erases our efforts, and makes anyone who believes this a hypocrite.

Alright lets try this another way. Slight word change.

"In one of my technology lectures, which held in excess of 100 students, the professor asked everyone in the class who was a geek to raise their hand.

I observed as several females raised their hand in support. One lone male did the same, garnering grins and laughs from his fellow male counterparts. Apparently, being interested in computers is not cool, and certainly not macho."

Yeah that doesn't work because everyone who likes computers don't identify as geeks.

Don't recognize the difference? I'll tell you. The difference is "being interested in computers" and "showing open support for equality in gender is not cool" are ideals while "geek" and "feminist" are labels. While some(because there are negative and hateful ones out there) feminists do stand up for equality there are a lot of us who don't.

I'm a not a feminist and I want equality for all people. Renee is a womanist and she wants equality for all people. Daran is not a feminist and he wants equality for all people. Glenn and Robert are MRAs and they want equality for all people. I'll bet they wouldn't be so quick to attribute a negative behavior to a single group (like say only Nazis hate people who aren't like them). And I'll bet there are more out there that I haven't named here. Rest assure there are a lot of us out here standing up for equality for all people and we are doing outside the banner of feminism.

I know it might be hard for feminists to face the fact that they can't make the title feminist synonymous with equality and make non-feminist synonymous with against equality but they need to get over themselves. And we will all be better off once they realize that.
-->