Thursday, May 6, 2010

Theater Thursday: A Tale of Two Sisters

Spoiler Warning - Okay as the title says I'm going to be talking about a movie. Despite the fact that my Theater Thursday posts are more discussion than review I will be talking about what goes on during the movie and doing so I will inevitably bring up specific details about said movie. If I bring up specific details about a movie that you haven't seen yet this is what you call a spoiler. Now its up to you and your taste in movies to decide if you don't want to read said spoiler. So now that I have explained a spoiler I warn you. This post contains specific details about the movie mentioned in the title of this post that you may not want to read. Tread carefully.

This week I decided to try some Korean horror and sat to watch "A Tale of Two Sisters". I have to say that I think it looks like these folks have the suspense thing down pat.

The movie starts with sisters Su-Yeon and Su-Mi returning from the hospital after the death of their mother. After returning home to their father Mu-Hyun, who has remarried to a woman named Eun-joo, Su-Mi begins to experience strange visions and odd dreams. Becoming suspicious of her new step mother (whom she thinks is also abusing her sister Su-Yeon) Su-Mi tries to discover the source of the strange events. From there dark secrets are revealed as the source of Mi's dreams, Yeon's abuse, and circumstances behind their mom's death come to light.

If you aren't familiar with Asian horror movies its worth noting that they tend to go for a few suspenseful moments rather than a constant barrage of freakishness, gore, and violence. To me that's a lot scarier because its harder to predict when a shocking moment will happen. But enough of that I want to get to the meat and potatoes of it.

In the end it turns out that the older sister Su-Mi was imagining Su-Yeon's presence throughout the entire movie. Even at the start of the movie when the sisters came home from the hospital Su-Mi was the only one coming home accompanied with a vision of her little sister. And she wasn't coming home from the hospital over her mom's death, she was coming home from a stay in a mental ward.

To be so unable to cope with reality that you manage to alter your perception of it. That's got to be terrible. Mi and Yeon were inseparable and Mi was just not able to handle her death which took place at the same time of their mother's death (in fact they are somewhat related).

So I have a question:

Do you have loved that you love and cherish so much that your very mental state could come under fire if you lost them?

I can understand that such a question seems hard to answer. First it requires you to think about what person you love that much and then think about losing that person. Who would want to think about losing someone they love that much? But as I think about that question I find myself unable to think of a single person in my life whose loss would trigger that effect. That leaves me wondering.

As humans we put a lot of value on forming bonds with each other. As we live our lives it is natural to grow extremely close with loved ones. But as I think about my answer to that question I wonder if there is something unnatural about me. Is there something wrong with me for not thinking that I have bonded with anyone, friend, family, or otherwise that strongly or am I thinking too hard about it (it does seem odd to judge my humanity by whether or not my mental status would be severely altered by such a loss)?

Well enough about my answer to this. I want to hear what you (yeah you reading this right now) have to sway about it.

See you in two weeks.
-->