Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Weekly Menu April 5

Okay this was fun. About a month ago I had decided that I was going to make a pot of spaghetti sauce from total scratch. I'm talking from fresh tomatoes to fresh basil to fresh mushrooms. Well then I realized how much fresh tomatoes cost and I canceled that. Well I was still determined to do it in a crock pot. Yeah that didn't go so well either. Here goes.

Spaghetti Sauce

2lbs. of ground beef
1lbs. of ground turkey
2 packages of fresh mushrooms (you know the ones in the fresh produce section that come in those blue foam boxes and have plastic wrap on top)
5 cans of diced tomatoes (these cost $5 vs the $3/lb for fresh tomatoes. and I even found some flavored ones like Roasted Garlic)
4 can of tomato sauce
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 white onion chopped as fine as possible
1/4 c of chopped fresh basil leaves (chopped as fine as possible)
4 small tomatoes chopped

Okay this is where its get tricky. To save you the trouble I'll tell you now this will NOT fit in a 5-4qt crock pot. This will require a really big pot or you may need to reduce the ingredients like I should have. Alright I started by browning my meats (they will end up together in the end so you can brown them at the same time now if you want). While that was going I poured the diced tomatoes into my crock pot and started it up. In the pot I added sea salt, crushed red pepper, and Italian seasoning, stirred it up, and turned it on so it could start simmering.

Once the meat was done I added it to the pot and realized this was not going to cut it. One there was nowhere enough tomatoes to get the sauce to a saucy consistency and too my crock pot was already full so there was no room to add the rest of my ingredients. Solution: A bigger pot. Had to pull out the Thanksgiving collard green pot. But before adding in the stuff from the crock pot I turned it on added some oil and put in the mushrooms and onion. Let those fry for a bit and then put in the tomatoes and meat from the crock pot. Next I mixed in the tomato sauce. Finally after all the other ingredients are set throw in the garlic and basil. Stir it up real good and set the stove to the lowest heat you possibly can and let it simmer for about 30 stirring occasionally.

Prep your noodles (I'm a fan of wheat noodles or angel hair) and you have spaghetti.

Okay as you can see this makes A LOT of spaghetti sauce. This is good for a cook on Sunday and eat it all week recipe.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

womanistmusings said...

Eat all week? Um that is why the good lord invented the freezer. Don't feel bad about not reducing the amount you made that is tame in comparison to some of the unhusbands kitchen creations

Danny said...

Sad part is after eating it all week there will still be some to freeze. The only reason there was so much was because I wasn't paying attention to the portions of my ingredients. Wont make that mistake again.

-->