Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Weekly Menu April 25

I actually made this a few days ago but have been a bit busy so I'm just getting it up now.

Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 lbs bag of egg noodles
1 pack of frozen broccoli
2 jars of alfredo sauce*
8oz pack of sour cream**
8oz pack of cream cheese**

This started off as a recipe that a coworker of mine told me his wife made. Basically it was homemade hamburger helper. Well this is not exactly what he told me, I kinda went off on my own.

First clean your chicken, chop it into chunks, and simply pan fry it in oil and the seasoning of your choice.

While that is cooking you can get either a really large skillet or a pot (I actually have a really large skillet but chances are you will need a pot) and put in your alfredo sauce (feel free to season it, I used some crushed red pepper and garlic powder) and start it up on the lowest heat you can get away with. Stir in the sour cream and cream cheese (it helps if you let the cream cheese sit out for a while to soften up). Once your chicken is done add it in along with your noodles and broccoli. Don't worry about the noodles not being cooked first or that the broccoli is still frozen. What you will be doing is simnmering it at that low heat for about 25-35 minutes or until the noodles are cooked to your liking (by the time the noodles cook the broccoli will cook).

When I did this I had a really large non stick skillet so there wasn't much danger of sticking but if you aren't using non stick then you will want to stir it every so often to prevent sticking.

Once its done you're in business.

* - You could certainly make your own alfredo sauce. I bought it because I've never made it before.

** - Okay when my coworker told me about this he told me she used either sour cream or cream cheese but I forgot which. I didn't realize I forgot until I was at the store buying the ingredients, didn't have my phone, and didn't want to bother risking getting the wrong one. Solution? Use them both.

In the end its good but once it cools off it gets thick quick. I think the cream cheese did that. And the sour cream taste was a little strong. So next time I'll probably reduce them both to 4 oz each so it won't get so thick and the sour cream taste isn't so strong.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

womanistmusings said...

You had me until you said homemade hamburger helper.

Danny said...

Yeah I'm not that much of a fan of hamburger helper but that is what my coworker said when he told the story.

-->