Thursday, April 8, 2010

Theater Thursday: Edward Scissorhands

Back to action on the movie blogging. I just happen to realize that this year is the 20 year anniversary of Edward Scissorhands so its a cool thing that's the movie I decided to watch earlier.

If you don't recall Edward Scissorhands was about a boy (Johnny Depp) who was created by an old inventor (Vincent Price). When he was first created The Inventor (his name was never given and he was credited as The Inventor) gave Edward scissor like appendages in the place of hands. At the start Edward was a blank person that The Inventor read to in order give him humanity. Eventually The Inventor built a pair of artificial hands for Edward but died before he could replace his scissorhands with them. Sometime later after living in The Inventor's giant house all alone an Avon dealer comes to visit and after meeting Edward she takes him home with her. That's where the movie starts.

I've noticed in my time of blogging I've begun to notice things in movies I never noticed before and I want to share it (which may become the focus of my movie posts).

First I noticed that the way The Inventor presented his hands to him. It was as if the hands were all that Edward needed in order to be considered human aka normal. While I doubt anyone has scissor like appendages in place of them there are people out there who either don't have hands or whose hands do not function in what we understand to be a normal manner. One does not need to have a pair of full functioning hands in order to be considered normal.

Next I noticed the way the people of the neighborhood treated him. As long as he was cutting women's hair, grooming dogs, cutting hedges, helping people steal, the object of one woman's sexual, and being the butt of people's jokes he was okay to be around. But just like any group that is stereotyped, marginalized, and/or generalized in any as soon as he does something that might be perceived as dangerous that misunderstanding can lead to everyone turning their back on you and pulling out the pitchforks. This falls in line with the way that people who are different are treated "right" as long as they follow their script (which usually means either doing things for the benefit of the system or staying out of the system's way if you are of no use to it).

That movie is such a trip down memory lane. And seeing the final sequence reminded me that this is one of a precious few movies that can almost bring me to tears. There is just something about "The Ice Dance" by Danny Elfman (Elfman's compositions being a staple in Tim Burton movies) that almost makes me feel like I could cry...almost.


The Ice Dance by Danny Elfman

Well that's it for this Theater Thursday. See ya in two weeks!
-->