Friday, March 12, 2010

Just A Little Bit Longer...

Last year I went to see the theatrical version of Nine based on the musical. Personally I don't like musicals that much but I have to say that I liked this one. In particular there is one part that really hit me. At one point during the movie there is a song by the main character Guido's (Daniel-Day Lewis) mother (Sophia Loren), who was deceased, by the name off "Guarda La Luna". What really got to me was the fact that during the song he was dancing with his mom and between verses Daniel Day Lewis was switching with the young boy playing his younger self. I have to admit that it was the closest I had come to crying in a very long time (haven't cried in nearly 10 years). The idea of seeing one's mom again, even if just for a mere three minute song...

As I said recently I'm becoming a big fan of Caprica and along with the science fiction of it there is another reason. This show displays exactly what a parent is willing to do be with their child again. Distraught after losing his daughter in a terrorist bombing, Daniel Greystone (Eric Holtz) has found a virtual avatar of his daughter in the virtual world and has moved it into a robotic body he was creating for military purposes. This merging of his daughter Zoey (Alessandra Torresani) with the technology of a mechanical killing machine becomes what many know as Cylon. Knowing what is going to happen as a result of this merging (see the 2004 Battlestar Galactica series) I have to admit that I'm not sure I can flatly say that I would not do the same.

Think about it. Imagine a loved one you have lost. What would you be willing to do in order to be with them again, even for a short while, even if in virtual form? As I'm chilling with the Captain (by that I mean drinking Captain Morgan's Rum) I sit watching a mini marathon of Caprica tonight on the sixth anniversary of my mom's death I have to admit that even knowing that the result would lead to humanity being driven to the edge of extinction I don't know if I would chose not to bring my mom back in some way, shape, or form.

Take it easy. I'm calling it a night.


Sophia Loren - Guarda La Luna
-->