Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A conspiracy?

As some of you may have noticed I've been up to a bit of cooking for the last year or so (and I have a short that I need to put up soon) and I while looking at some other cooking blogs I came across an interesting thought.
I can't imagine how much trouble it must be if you're also trying to diet. Which makes me wonder just how much commercial diets, with their pre-packaged food portions and calorie controlled snacks, are leading us AWAY from healthy eating.

The value in the food industry comes from added processing. Team that up with a diet industry that wants to get you to buy as many branded products as possible and you have a recipe for (albiet calorie controlled) over-processed food. Which, although I don't have the data to back me up on this, my gut tells me HAS to be worse for you than from-scratch food.
Okay as we all know the food industry will do anything it needs to do to get us to keep shoving their processed foods down our throats and they need to supply those processed foods as cheaply as possible and as quickly as possible. Well with the way people are concerned about weight these days just about any and every food producer you can think of has some sort of "healthy" food.

"Low Calorie"
"Wheat"
"No Trans Fat"
"No Saturated Fat"

All sorts of lines to entice us to think that their products are the key to weightloss salvation.

Considering all the processed chemicals, preservatives, coloring agents, pesticides, and lord knows what else that goes into those products I think this woman's gut may be on to something. And I have to check out her cooking posts. They look interesting (although I don't think she would be interested in mine since unlike her I am not Jewish so I'll bet my cooking is all kinds of not kosher).

4 comments:

Sonja said...

I wouldn't put it past them, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that there are food and diet companies belonging to the same parent company.

All people really need to remember to eat better is that less fat is generally good, or at least less saturated (animal) fat, less salt and sugar (in all it's forms) is good.

All things in moderation.

Danny said...

Yeah all one twisted conspiracy.

Anonymous said...

I'm not exclusively interesting in kosher food posts, although yeah, my house is. I wasn't raised that way, though, so I maintain a fair amt of interest in non-kosher food. Thanks for your interest!

Danny said...

Hi there. Glad you could come over.

-->