Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Weekly Menu January 17-23

Well I got a bit frisky and did some more cooking this past weekend. Time to ante up.

Breakfast Casserole

This time around I was inspired to cook this because of a minor OCD tendency that kicks in every so often about exact proportions. Most of the time for breakfast I just cook 8 or 10 (for a 4 or 5 day work week) scrambled eggs and scoop them out of a collective container as the week passes. Well when you do that your portions are nowhere near even and this time I wanted to do something about it.

8 eggs
1 9oz pkg of fresh spinach
8 slices of turkey bacon
Cheese to go on top

First I pan fried the spinach in a bit oil. If you cover the pan it will cook pretty fast since spinach is mostly water. The bit of oil is to prevent sticking but for the most part the spinach will steam itself. I know that 9oz pack looks pretty big but by the time I finished I barely had enough to cover the bottom of my pan (about a 7x7in square pan). Speaking of pan go ahead and spray/grease the bottom of the pan and place the spinach in the bottom of it and set it aside (go ahead and preheat the over to about 350). Next I cooked the turkey bacon as directed and cut each piece in half (giving you 16 pieces). Now the pan I used is a perfect square so what I did was place four pieces in each of the four quarters of the pan on top of the spinach. In a large bowl scramble the eggs and simply pour them over the bacon and spinach. Sprinkle some cheese on top and place in the over for about 15 min. or until you can tilt the pan and eggs don't shift with the tilt.

As you can see this is pretty much a baked omelet so feel free to use whatever ingredients you would used in an omelet you would cook in a frying pan. Four perfect servings for bagels to make sandwiches out of.


Chicken Stew

Alright this was more of an emergency cooking. A few days before I had taken a bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts out to thaw for cooking but then got lazy and didn't want to cook them during the work week. Well thankfully it was scrotum shivering cold last week so they kept very well. This past Saturday the time had come to cook them or toss them on Sunday. I chose to cook them. But thank goodness I had a crockpot so I could set and forget.

1 bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts, washed and cleaned
1 bag of baby carrots
2 pkgs of sliced mushrooms
1 bottle of marinade
1 pkg of frozen steamer bag peas
2 bags of boiling bag rice
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chooped

I cleaned the chicken and cut it into strips. Next I made layers of chicken, mushrooms, and carrots alternating til I ran out (but I recommend keeping the carrots near the bottom so they cook well) and added a bit of garlic on each layer as well. From there I poured in bottle of marinade, the entire bottle and even rinsed it out with water and poured that in too. I used one from the KC Masterpiece line called "Garlic Basalmic". It was on sale (because it was a new item and they wanted people to try it or it was an old item and it was marked down to get rid of it I don't know but I have to say I like it) so I decided to give it a try. Now you're notice I used a marinade and not an actual sauce. For the most part marinades don't have as strong a flavor as sauces so I added the entire bottle. If I had been using a sauce like say BBQ sauce I would not have used the entire bottle.

From there I turned it up to high and let it cook for about 6 hours. Now you'll notice that there is a lot of liquid and space in the crockpot after that stuff cooks. That is the room the peas and rice are about to occupy. Boil the rice and microwave the peas and add them to the pot. You'll see that the rice will absorb a lot of the water in the pot.

Tasty.

Til next time.
-->