Friday, January 1, 2010

Weekly Menu January 1 Extra Stage!!!

Egg Nog Cake w/ Egg Nog Frosting

Yes you read that right. A while back I made some egg nog pancakes but the egg nog taste wasn't that strong. I was talking about it at work and someone mentioned putting egg nog in a cake. The light above my afro went off.

I really didn't want to put in the time in to making a cake from scratch (which BTW is 3 eggs, 3cups of flour, 2 sticks of butter, 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of milk, 1tsp. vanilla flavoring) so I just bought a cake mix. To that mix I added:

1/3 cup of oil
3 eggs
1 2/3 cups of egg nog
1 tsp vanilla flavor

At first I only added 1 cup of egg nog but since it is thicker than standard milk it takes a bit more to get it to the right consistency. Now normally you preheat the oven to 350 and let it cook. However since this batter is thicker than normal it requires you to cook it a slightly lower heat (300) for longer time. If the heat is too high the cake will burn around the edges before the middle can finish cooking. You want to shoot for about 30-40min or until you can stick a fork all the way through the middle of the pan and it comes out clean. While that is cooking let's make the frosting.

2 cups of powdered sugar
1 stick of butter
about 1 cup of egg nog

What you want to do is get your butter soft (what I did was put it in my mixing bowl and sat it on top of the over while the cake was cooking) and then add the sugar to it. When you mix it you'll get lumps but that is okay. Add egg nog a little at a time until the frosting is at your desired consistency. If you go too far with the egg nog you can counter by adding more sugar.

Once the cake is cooked and cooled you can spread the frosting on it.

Vola!

Stay Frosty!

Edit: Okay after the cake was cooked, cooled, and frosted I noticed that the cake itself is very dense. Chances are this is a result of using egg nog instead of milk or that I should have maybe used egg nog and milk instead of fully replacing. The frosting tastes good but like the cake got hard and got a little dense. So I guess the end result is that this recipe works but would be better if I use egg nog and milk instead of all egg nog. The sucky part is that since egg nog is a seasonal drink I'll have to wait til next winter to try it again.
-->