Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Theater Thursday: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

In addition to the things I listed out that I wanted to do this year another thing I wanted to do is ramp up my posting on this blog. One way to post more often it to have more content and one way to have more content is to cover more topics.

Along with other things I will be adding to my corner over time (and inspired by The Movie Blog, a recent addition to my blog roll) I want to take some time every other Thursday (I went with that because I didn't want to use "Movie Monday" and my schedule is a bit hectic to commit to a "Film Friday") and do a post on movies. Not necessarily new movies mind you like the word theater implies. These posts will be dedicated to movies old and new, good and bad, and pretty and ugly. I'm sure there are enough movies for me to talk about at least one every other Thursday. But let's set the record straight that I don't fancy myself as an know all be all repository of film knowledge. If you think of a movie that I may not have seen (and how would you know if I have or not if you don't mention it) by all means recommend it. I may watch it and/or perhaps do a future post on it.

Well to kick things off this week I want to talk about one of the movies I am most looking forward to this year, "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time".

 


Based on the first installment of a video game trilogy from one game console generation ago (Playstation 2, Gamecube, and XBox) Jerry Bruckhiemer has taken the reigns to bring this great game to the big screen.

For those who don't know Prince of Peria: Sands of Time is actually a revival of an older franchise of video games that dates back almost 20 years.

The Sands of Time are just as the name says, they are sands that grant one the power to transcend time. As is true with any object that holds great power there will be people that want that great power and will destroy nations to obtain it. And after the smoke clears and the prize is claimed SOMEONE will unleash it and see the true power the object holds. Chaos ensues.

Now I know its not the most original plot but if the action from the game translates well to the big screen then I think viewers will be in for a real treat. You see in Sands of Time there are a lot of acrobatics and swordplay which are good material for Bruckhiemer to draw from (I mean look at what he did for the Pirates of the Caribbean series). However its not all sunshine and rainbows.

If you can't tell from the movie poster pic above that is Jake Gyllenhaal in the lead role of The Prince. (In this movie his name is Dastan but in the video game his name is never given, which is an easy feat considering there are only 5 people in whole game with spoken lines and 2 of them die without saying much.) See the problem? Don't get me wrong Mr. Gyllenhaal is not a bad looking guy or anything but he really doesn't look Persian to me.

Like the whitewashing that the live action Avatar: The Last Airbender film due this year is getting I'm a bit bothered about how the race (and sometimes gender) of a person changes radically with doing a film adaptation of an existing property. (I think I'm one of the only people that didn't like the fact that King Pin was black in the Ben Affleck Daredevil movie and I was only able to get over Starbuck being a woman in the recently ended revival of Battlestar Galacttica because the Starbuck name itself was a call sign not an actual character.) And the reason it bothers me is because often times there is no excuse for it. I'm sure there were plenty of large muscular white guys that could have played King Pin (WWE's The Big Show comes to mind) just as I'm sure there are plenty of men of Persian decent that could have filled the role (Oded Fehr and Rudolf Martin come to mind on that one).

However despite my being a stickler for perfection when it comes to casting there is an almost 100% chance that I will be a theater somewhere this May to watch it. I just hope that they keep the witty banter between Prince and Farrah that kept me laughing while playing the game (and some of the conversation in the trailer has me thinking it will be faithful).

Below is a trailer for the film. Looks nice and it looks like there will be a good amount of acrobatics and sword play in it.

Later!


-->