Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Weekly Mashup Stage 3 (Out of the office Style)

Well I'm about to go off on vacation. I'm going to head up to Alexandria, VA to visit an old friend for a few days and will be back in around the 21st. I'm doing this post to say I'll be out because I don't know what my internet availability will be and even then I don't know how much time I'll get to read much less post (so the blog roll will be deep upon my return). Hopefully I'll get to go to DC and play tourist again like I did last year since I only got one day for that. But before I head out I want to mention a few things I've seen but did not have time to fully post on.

Ball Tapping: Toy Soldier talks about the attitude toward hitting males in the genitals.

Feminism is not Dirty but it is Exclusionary: Renee takes a moment to critique the exclusionary tendencies of feminists. Her critique is mostly from the perspective of a woman of color. Interesting that someone has already come in and commented with a jab at MRAs. But feminists are the reasonable ones right?

Discrimination-Based Teacher Education Plan at University of Minnesota:
A branch of the University of Minnesota may require all education students at the school to understand and accept that they are either privileged or oppressed and that they be well-versed in issues like "white privilege," "institutional racism” and the "myth of meritocracy in the United States."
I think the hearts of those that came up with this are in the right place but I am really concerned about requiring someone to accept something as a part of their education. And I'm even more concerned because the students in question intend to become future teachers. Not saying its doomed to fail but I think there be some serious looking at the curriculum.

European Court tells Germany to change its laws on right of single fathers: Robert points to a possible silver lining in the current state of German law in which a single father can only have joint custody if the mother consents to it.

Experiment in single sex classrooms: A school in has been experimenting with the idea of single gender classrooms as an alternative to mix gender classes in an effort to see how they have an effect on how children learn.

Choosing your child's gender: If you had the choice would you actively pick your child's gender?

Now you folks be good while I'm gone. I don't want to come back and find you been acting a fool.

Later!!!

2 comments:

Rachel Cervantes said...

Enjoy your holiday!

Danny said...

Yes I will.

-->