Sunday, November 22, 2009

Weekly Menu November 23-27 Extra Stage!!!

Thanksgiving is coming up and a staple of this time of year is the sweet potato. A few weeks ago I got a few pounds of them because that was the only way I could get them. So with so many sweet potatoes we've had to come up with other ways to eat them besides the usual puddings, pies, and baking. Out of nowhere this past Friday I decided I wanted some sweet potato pancakes. I went to the store to pick up some syrup and came across some oatmeal pancake mix. Curiosity took over and got it. What started off as one idea actually ended up as two.

Battered Sweet Potatoes
Yesterday my dad had the idea of slices some sweet potatoes up and pan frying them then topped them with cinnamon and sugar. Well there were about 4 leftover and I had the idea of dipping them in batter. This is as simple as it sounds. Just prepare your pancake batter (by mix, from scratch or however) and dip the sliced sweet potatoes into the batter then pan fry them. After frying them golden brown on both sides take them up and lay them in a plate covered in paper towels (to catch excess grease) and sprinkle with ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Enjoy

Sweet Potato Pancakes
This morning I got to my big idea. First I prepare the pancake batter. Just prepare it how you normally would. Set it to the side. I did this first because when the sweet potatoes are done you want to add them immediately to the pancake mix. Next I peeled and cut up a sweet potato and boiled it. As far as how much water try not to use too much. My point here is that you don't want to have to drain the water off the potatoes because that water is going to be holding some (if not most) of the natural sugar that came out of them during boiling. I got lucky this time in such a way that when they were cooked enough there was enough water in the pot that I was just able to dump them (potatoes and remaining water) right into the mixing bowl with the batter and mix and mash them up. Now since you have added another ingredient and more water you may have altered the consistency of the batter and may need to add more dry ingredients to counter it.

From there its a matter of making pancakes (and I plan to do waffles next time) like you normally would.

Yeah I know its not fancy but its a bit of a mix up from the norm and allows me to use up some extra potatoes.

Later.
-->