Friday, October 9, 2009

More men with breast cancer some forward

Last week I brought up the issue of several marines and relatives of marines who have developed breast cancer after living at Camp Lejeune marine base between the 1960s through 1980s. Since the initial break of the story the number of people who have come forward with breast cancer has doubled to 40.

This video is of more people speaking. One man states that he has no history of breast cancer in his family and does not drink or smoke. Diagnosed at the age of 39 the man says that his exposure came as a result of his pregnant mother coming in contact with toxic levels of chemicals during the 30 year span of the 60s through the 80s.

Today the water is clean but does acknowledge that at one time the water was contaminated yet the Marine Corp. has stated that several scientific studies have found no link between the cancer that has stricken these men and contaminated water. This means that currently the marines and their families are not eligible for benefits.

Senators Richard Burr and Kay Hagan of North Carolina have sponsored and co-sponsored a bill that would give benefits to veterans and and families of veterans that may have been exposed to the contaminated water.

For those interested the site The Few The Proud The Forgotten has been started as a source for those diagnosed to tell their stories. There is also a multimedia section for stories related to the contamination. If you or any of your relatives have every lived at Camp Lejeune during that time span you may be at risk.

As it stands a great disservice is being done to lots of people who have literally put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Such a thing should not be allowed to continue.

1 comment:

Rachel Cervantes said...

Glad they're following up on this.

-->