Sunday, September 20, 2009

Wow this tastes like Heinz 57!

Okay I had a plan for some beef ribs today (which my dad pissed me off about but I'll get back to that later) and this plan required sauce. Well I made it last night with intent to cook the ribs today and when I tasted it I noticed something odd. The sauce I made almost tasted like Heinz 57 (I even had a bottle in the fridge to check this by). Here goes. I'll warn you that these are rough measurements for the most part.

Before the actual mixing I mixed the following in a container and shook vigorously:

About 2 Tblsp. of crushed ginger - This is the stuff you see in jars that is the consistency of mush and it usually on the shelf where you see the minced garlic.

About 3 oz. of vinegar - I'm guessing on this and the crushed ginger because I actually poured some vinegar in the jar of ginger and swished it around to get all of it from around the jar.

2 cloves of garlic - I chopped this up as thinly as I could get away with with the notion that the vinegar would dissolve the garlic and even if it didn't the smaller pieces of garlic would allow for the flavor to come out more.

I let that sit in the fridge for about 3 hours and then came back to add more to it.

12oz. of ketchup - This is probably the most accurate measure I have because I bought a new 24oz bottle and when I finished I noticed I had use right at half the bottle.

About 3oz. of mustard - Just like the crushed ginger I poured about 3oz of vinegar into the bottle and shook it vigorously to get it all out.

About 6oz. of honey - I bought a 12oz jar and once I finished the jar was about 1/2 gone.

From here on out just assume an "About" in from of all the measurements.

2 tsp. of chili powder

5 tsp. of black pepper - I used more of this because I am out of crushed red pepeer.

3 full twists of sea salt from one of those twisting grinders

I simply put all of this in the container that I had the garlic, ginger, and vinegar in before and shook the hell out of it.

Now I'm not saying that I'll never have to buy a bottle of Heinz 57 again (that damn sauce is too fucking good) but I have to toot my horn here and say that my formula here tastes like it could have been one of the failed attempts at making the formula that they currently sale.
-->