Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weekly Menu September 21-25

Well after getting pissed off about what happened to my ribs today I decided to go for a comfort food, mashed potatoes.

Ah but mashed potatoes with a twist. Earlier this week I was feeling a bit down and bought some instant mashed potatoes and was gonna have them with my other comfort food, hamburger (no roll just the burger). Well I was topping the burgers with a mixture of garlic, onions, and mushrooms seasoned with Five Spice and black pepper and realized that I had some left over and decided to hook up the instant mashed potatoes. It was pretty damn good and this afternoon I realized that I've never made my own mashed potatoes and that they would taste good with garlic, onions, and mushrooms.

9 small - medium red potatoes peeled

2 cloves of garlic
1 small can of mushrooms
about 1/2 a medium onion

First I peeled and cut the potatoes and put them on the boil with about 3 tblsp. of sea salt for about 3omin. Just before they finished I browned the onions and mushrooms in butter and just as they were getting ready I added the garlic (chopped as thin as possible). The reason to add it last is because with the direct heat of the frying pan fresh garlic can burn FAST and burnt garlic is so bitter it can ruin your dish. In fact there have been times where I've added the garlic then turned the stove off and let the residual heat cook it. Hell if you want you can just put the garlic straight into the potatoes, after draining them of course.

Once you have drained the potatoes you can mash them up and toss in however much butter and milk you are comfortable with (remember to be mindful of the milk because it will control the creaminess of the potatoes). After that just toss in the garlic, onion, mushroom mix and from there taste test if you want and add other things like salt, pepper, etc. to suit your taste.

Some of this is going to work with me next week...
-->