Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weekly Menu September 21-25 Extra Stage!!!

Okay a short while ago I was telling you about the sauce recipe I threw together. Well I also mentioned I had planned to use it on some ribs right? Well things did not go according to plan.

About 3 days ago I decided that I was going to cook some beef ribs this weekend because I was sick of pork ribs (I supposed it's because I'm in the south where pigs are more common place that cows) being the only option when I wanted ribs. I got lucky and found some on sale so fate seemed to be on my side for once. Yeah...

So yesterday just before I made my sauce I thought it might be a good idea to put my dry ingredients on the ribs the night before and let them sit. So I coated them in Old Bay, Black Pepper, Five Spice, Sea Salt, Chili Powder, and Onion Powder and laid in the pan I was going to cook them in and put them in the fridge for the night.

I get up this morning and my dad asks if I wanted to put the ribs in the oven and, I think this is where I fucked up, I said yes. Well I'm letting the time count down on them and I get up and ask how long had they been in there and he says he had done everything that needed to be done to them. What? I ask what he meant and that's when he tells me that he had already put the sauce on them. More like drowned he used over half the damn sauce on them.

I try desperately to tell that I was meaning to only use a small bit of it so that the natural taste of the meat would not get killed off and it all falls on deaf ears as he wonders why I'm making such a big deal about it. I think he mouthed off a half assed apology and offered to buy another rack. Well that's not doing me much good because I'm out of crushed ginger and I actually had long term plans for that sauce.

Okay I know this sounds like I'm flipping out over nothing but hear me out. One of the reasons I never cooked much until 3 or so month ago was because I hate it when people mess with my stuff. This isn't to say that I can't stand criticism or something. In fact I have no problem with people critiquing my food after I cook it nor do I have a problem with people TELLING me things before and during cooking. But there aren't many things that will piss me off more than someone altering my cooking during the process and that is just what he did.

Well with my sauce over half gone and my wonder plans for my ribs fucked up I just said fuck it and went out to the store to get the ingredients to build one of my comfort foods, mashed potatoes.
-->