Monday, August 17, 2009

Weekly Menu August 17 - 21

Okay this weekend I was thinking about soup and decided to make some. However I had a small problem. I wanted to have more veggies in the soup but I didn't want a massive overload of veggies hogging all the room in the soup so I was in a bit of a dilemma. If more solid veggies was out of the question then I had only one other option. No not gaseous veggies, liquid.

At first I was thinking about getting some of the veggies I wanted and putting them in the blender with some water and having at it. Problem is 1) That's an extra appliance I will have to clean up. 2) I don't have a blender. So I could buy a blender but I would still have an extra mess. Well I'm a bit on the lazy side when it comes to doing dishes so I found another option...baby food.

Beefy Chicken Veggie Baby Soup
48oz of V8 Juice

1 package of stew beef (about 1lb.)

2 boneless skinless chicken breast (washed and chopped into chunks)

1 16oz. package of frozen mixed vegetables (I used peas, corn, string beans)

3 containers of baby food (I recommend going for veggies you don't already have like spinach, carrots, etc...)

1 can of diced tomatoes

season with sea salt, pepper, celery seed

Now I'm sure you're tripping on the baby food but look at the list of ingredients of a container of baby food. Most of the time all it is will be water and vegetables because while I have an empty heart it would take a heartless cur to put preservatives in baby food. And plus the crock pot is only about 5 quarts so if you buy and blend you will more than likely buy more than what you would use (which I guess is no problem is you're using a massive stove top pot).

And the greatest part of a pot of soup is that you can just literally dump all the ingredients in, turn on the crock pot, then come back about 6 hours later. Done.

I intend to make another batch of my Spicy Chicken Salad later this week. All the ingredients are already in my kitchen except the horseradish sauce which I have at work (leftover from the sandwiches I had last week) and there is no sense in buying another bottle when I can just bring that one back home right?

For breakfast I went retro. As you may know from reading past Weekly Menu entries I'm a big fan of the omelet with spinach and mushrooms. Well this time I kept it simple with just a massive pan of scrambled eggs with turkey sausage, spinach, and mushrooms mixed in and split it five ways (and had enough for dinner tonight too). I've still got some yogurt from last week left so I'll probably just eat that with it.

Well that's all for now.
-->